Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Problems at KU Law  (Read 17337 times)

JKelseyKS

• View Profile
    • Email
Problems at KU Law
« on: August 09, 2008, 12:27:00 PM »
For those of you thinking of attending KU, I'd review the situation closely.  A friend of mine who attends says she regrets it.  There have been some big problems there recently.  For one, a KU law student was recently murdered right there in Lawrence.  Also, at a KU Law event a few months ago called Blue Book Relays a student dressed up as an African American!!!  :o  The administration didn't publicly respond to the incident for a while and even then some saw the response at way too little and way too late. Another problem: recently the official list of classes organized by the school was a total mess- several required classes over-lapped with other classes.  I heard the administration had to redo it all and many students were quite upset.  Plus the KU Law School has slipped in the rankings under the new dean, a woman named Agrawal, from I think 66 to 73. They also have a relatively low rate of graduates donating to the school, somewhere around 14%.  That says a lot about the quality of life at KU.  :( Many law schools around the nation have a giving rate in the 20's, 30's and above. So if you're thinking about attending KU for law school take a close look.  Maybe you should call the dean and ask about these things!!!

guard0544

• View Profile
Re: Problems at KU Law
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 11:32:34 PM »
Clearly you have personal issues with the school or you would not be posting something like this on here.

JKelseyKS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 03:45:32 PM »
Yes, I DO have issues.  I am African American and was deeply offended by the "black face" incident.

Bizarro Jerry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 03:49:43 PM »
Yes, I DO have issues.  I am African American and was deeply offended by the "black face" incident.

Was the student in "blackface" or just in certain clothing?

What would you like to have seen the administration do in response to someone "dressing" as an African American?

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 12:09:16 PM »

My former school had a "black face" incident last year as well. For a Halloween party a white student dressed (and put on face make-up) to pretend to be the dean, who is black. The school was rather outraged and took immediate action, with the administration condemning the act as well as a signed statement from most profs. The student promptly apologized as well. I think the whole thing was handled as well as it could have been.

I am sorry your school didn't take the same actions. It is truly unfortunate because it makes the act appear acceptable.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 04:03:48 PM »
The original post is garbage.

University of Kansas
Good regional employment prospects for a T2 (Kansas, KC, Denver, Phoenix, Omaha, Tulsa)
Strong and honest career services department that will make sure you get the real information and your true prospects.
Fantastic Alumni with a great mentor program.
Supportive 3Ls and 2Ls who are always willing to help.
Respected faculty including some brilliant 1L professors.
Lawrence is great.  Smallish town with a great feel.  A great mixture of liberals, conservatives, hippies, hicks etc. Fantastic Museums, artwork, culture, shopping, restaurants, bars, and parks.  20 minutes to the boonies, 30 minutes to a big city.  Awesome sports traditions. 

KU isn't perfect, but I've talked to a lot of graduates and students, and nearly all of them are very happy they chose to come to KU.