Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3L OCI Prediction  (Read 2102 times)

Veil

• View Profile
3L OCI Prediction
« on: August 08, 2008, 08:12:20 PM »
I'm stating the obvious here...but I predict 3L OCI will be a disaster this year.

Did anyone else's school send out a class wide email during the summer pushing for all 2Ls to sign up for 3L OCI due to the economy? For peace of mind, I did, and got back my results today....absolutely horrendous. I believe I bid on every single entity that is attending OCI at my school (30 or something like that) and I only got one OCI interview with a government agency. For the sake of context, I'm top third of a T25.

Hopefully the predictions about all the cold offers coming out of this summer will be way off the mark. Or was my experience just particularly unusual? Maybe I had some huge, glaring typo on my resume...that would be keen.

CamelMan

• View Profile
Re: 3L OCI Prediction
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 08:16:58 PM »
Perhaps this is OT, but cold offers strike me as complete bull. You can't make me an offer with the intent of making my life hell if I accept, just so your numbers look pretty.

/rant

OP, what did you do this summer?
This post will self-destruct in five, four, three, two....

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 09:22:20 PM »
:o

Though, to be fair, a school like Minnesota or Fordham is simply not prestigious enough to weather these down-turns.  There are plenty of T15 types in trouble.

"I'll be going to a T10 next year.  Do I need a suit and tie?"

Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 09:23:57 PM »
Perhaps this is OT, but cold offers strike me as complete bull. You can't make me an offer with the intent of making my life hell if I accept, just so your numbers look pretty.

/rant

cold offers also, at least theoretically, make it easier for the student to find another job. it's a lot easier to say you have an offer but are looking elsewhere than it is to say you didn't get an offer. whether or not that's honest on either the firm's or your part is another issue, of course, but it's a two-way street. I would much rather have a cold offer than be no-offered from a purely pragmatic point of view.

CamelMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 10:48:32 PM »

/rant

cold offers also, at least theoretically, make it easier for the student to find another job. it's a lot easier to say you have an offer but are looking elsewhere than it is to say you didn't get an offer. whether or not that's honest on either the firm's or your part is another issue, of course, but it's a two-way street. I would much rather have a cold offer than be no-offered from a purely pragmatic point of view.

Good points.
This post will self-destruct in five, four, three, two....

Veil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 11:16:26 PM »
Thankfully, I got an offer from the firm I was at this summer. I created this post because I had completely forgotten about signing up for 3L OCI until I was notified by email that my "results" were up today. Needless to say, when I saw those results it was pretty scary to think what would have happened had I not received my offer this summer.

I agree that cold offers are a big sham, but it IS supposed to be a win/win sham for the parties directly involved. The ones who lose are the law students looking for accurate information about a firm's hiring practices. From what I understand, getting a flat out no-offer is a horrible hit to your chances of getting a job at another firm.

h2xblive

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 07:48:42 PM »
What are cold offers?

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 12:35:18 AM »
What are cold offers?

I have no idea, but from ATL:

"There's speculation that more "cold offers" will be extended this year. For those of you who aren't familiar with the practice, a "cold offer" sounds something like this: "We are making you an offer, but... based on this summer, we think that YOU WOULD BE HAPPIER ELSEWHERE." The firm will print up an offer letter, but it's been made very clear to the summer associate that he or she is actually NOT welcome to return."

http://abovethelaw.com/2008/08/open_thread_cold_offers.php

Ouch!

h2xblive

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 02:01:48 AM »
If cold offers are somewhat insulting, don't firms understand the associate might retaliate be accepting the cold offer?

Can you imagine Milton as a V100 law firm?  :D