Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hello! Tell me what I'm doing wrong.  (Read 663 times)

Lzero

• View Profile
Hello! Tell me what I'm doing wrong.
« on: August 08, 2008, 06:31:57 PM »
Hi everyone, as you can tell I'm brand new. I've been lurking for the past couple days when a friend of mine informed me of this site. What a great resource! Thank you all; I don't think any of you realize how much help your advice gives to peons like me.

Now, I've only read through the Powerscore Bibles (LG and LR) within the past couple months and have taken six PTs so far. It's extremely frustrating because I seem to hit around 165 and have not improved. Tomorrow (8.9.2008) I'll begin taking the Powerscore (full-length) classes, although I'm worried that perhaps I've started too late. On top of this, I work a demanding full time job as well, so I only manage to study 2-3 hours (1 PT) maybe two or three times a week.

I've really lost a lot of hope since I've yet to improve my score. I'm keeping a log of the LR (my weakest area by far) questions that I've missed. It seems like I have the most trouble with Must be True and Flaw questions. LG and RC I can handle with two or three questions missed per section, but LR just murders me. I'd keep plowing through more PTs, but I think I'll only manage to familiarize myself with the questions without actually improving upon them.

I'm looking for some study guidance as well as just a reality check. Am I being pessimistic in my outlook or just realistic? Of course, my goal is to obtain a 170+, but that goal feels utterly impossible now. Would it be wiser to give up before I invest even more time and money into this endeavor? What do you guys think? Thanks again!

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hello! Tell me what I'm doing wrong.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 07:50:02 PM »
Are you insane?  You're already above the 90th percentile.  Why would you want to give up?

Make sure you're working untimed at this point.  I'm sure you'll improve significantly after a course, and with more practice.  170 isn't unattainable if you've already hit 165, but you can also get into T14 schools with below a 170.

technicalities

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 08:15:48 PM »
Are you insane?  You're already above the 90th percentile.  Why would you want to give up?

Make sure you're working untimded at this point.  I'm sure you'll improve significantly after a course, and with more practice.  170 isn't unattainable if you've already hit 165, but you can also get into T14 schools with below a 170.
Please don't talk in double negatives and mention insanity at the same time.  Thanx!
The idiot who created the virus was arrested, but got off on a high-technicality

amassherst

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 08:48:39 PM »
Lzero, what did you get on your first practice test?

Lzero

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 06:52:09 PM »

Make sure you're working untimded at this point.  I'm sure you'll improve significantly after a course, and with more practice.  170 isn't unattainable if you've already hit 165, but you can also get into T14 schools with below a 170.

Haha thanks. I should say that my GPA is 3.79 from an unknown school (UT Dallas; BS in Economics) and I have zero connections, so I really need a high 170 to get into a good one.

I think I got around the high 150's, but I can't remember. I just took my first PT under timed conditions today as my initial Powerscore diagnostic. It was a little different for me as I had an experimental section, and I didn't get to stop and check my answers after completing each section. It was pretty draining sitting there for four hours! Anyway, I ended up scoring a 163, another plateau. :-\

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 01:58:57 PM »

Please don't talk in double negatives and mention insanity at the same time.  Thanx!

Are you seriously troubled by "isn't unattainable"?  Geez.   ::)

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 02:09:52 PM »

Haha thanks. I should say that my GPA is 3.79 from an unknown school (UT Dallas; BS in Economics) and I have zero connections, so I really need a high 170 to get into a good one.

1.  Your UG is essentially irrelevant to law schools.

2.  Connections are essentially irrelevant to law schools.

All law schools really care about are your GPA and your LSAT.  The idea you need a high 170 to get into a good one is flatly ridiculous.  Almost no one gets a a high 170, including most of the people at Harvard/Yale/Stanford, most of whom had no connections, and many of whom went to a Podunk UG.

Given your GPA, as long as you break 160, you'll get into a top-tier law school (top 50).  As long as you break 163, you'll get into one of the better top-tier law schools.  As long as you break 165, you'll probably get into a T25.  And as long as you get in the high 160's, you'll have a good shot at a T14 (the most national elite schools).  A 170 (just 170) will essentially guarantee this.

I think I got around the high 150's, but I can't remember. I just took my first PT under timed conditions today as my initial Powerscore diagnostic. It was a little different for me as I had an experimental section, and I didn't get to stop and check my answers after completing each section. It was pretty draining sitting there for four hours! Anyway, I ended up scoring a 163, another plateau. :-\

You really need to stop whining, and look at the LSAT scale more realistically/objectively.  Most people score around a 152 on the LSAT AFTER PREP.  (That's the official median.)  You scored around the top 25% on your initial diagnostic, which is very strong, and you're now consistently scoring above the 90th percentile (top 10%) which is very strong. 

Also, you've only taken 6 practice tests so far -- most people who really prep seriously take 20-30 exams.  And you've only just started your PS course.

Ultimately, you should have no problem breaking high 160's and getting into a top program.  Just be grateful for your natural aptitude, keep working steady, and stop being so unrealistically negative.

Lzero

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 04:50:46 PM »
Thanks for your candor, Lindhberg. Everything I know about law school admissions and LSAT scales, I learned from friends and friends-of-friends. I guess anecdotal advice is not the best way to learn about something!