Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which laptops are people buying for fall 2008?  (Read 2729 times)

randomman

• View Profile
Re: Which laptops are people buying for fall 2008?
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 05:45:49 PM »
Lenovo just came out with a brand-new Thinkpad lineup.

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 06:48:17 PM »
Gateway FX laptop. :)

Although my school has a mandatory laptop program so I'm receiving a HP or Dell or something in the coming weeks.

The Gateway FX is still the business...one thing though - it's like 10lbs.

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 06:48:46 PM »
i've liked my dell latitude laptop, though i upgraded from the basic law school package. if you get an extended warranty on it (i did upgraded to a 3 yr. hardware warranty, which i've seriously been using), the dell technician will come to your house to replace parts for free with 24 hours, which is insanely helpful. he replaced my motherboard/keyboard about 1.5 years ago and the LCD component (LED? whatever, the thingy that lights up the screen) about 6 months ago.

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 07:01:54 PM »
Hm. I replied. But I'm not seeing it. So this may be a double post... but, I have a Gateway FX laptop, which is pretty much the business. It's 10+ pounds though, so don't get a laptop tote bag unless you got the shoulder's like King Kamali.

LawStud

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 07:23:50 PM »
Good thread, seems like it has died out some.  I was hoping to hear from people that just bought or are in the market right now in this thread.

Seems like the other thread people were overwhemingly for Lenovos

sassafrass

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 11:36:23 AM »
i just dropped $1100 on a Sony VAIO.  anybody have experience with sony?

LawStud

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 12:16:47 PM »
One of my friends in undergrad had one (a Sony) and seemed to really like his; he carried it around with him fairly often.  I would definitely purchase a 3-year warranty and take backups very often with any laptop, especially when working on a paper or outlines.

Holden Caulfield

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 12:25:55 PM »
I just got my sony sr about a week ago. So far I love it and have had no problems. I was very wary about Vista, but it's also working great. I paid around $1800 after adding a 3 year warranty. If you don't want to spend that much you can get a loaded CR for around $1100-#1300 with the warranty.

I'm kind of anti-mac; but the sr seems to have stolen a few things from the mac's design. The keyboard has separated keys just like the mac. Also, the screen rolls back behind the computer when open it just like the mac.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 12:33:51 PM »
I just got my sony sr about a week ago. So far I love it and have had no problems. I was very wary about Vista, but it's also working great. I paid around $1800 after adding a 3 year warranty. If you don't want to spend that much you can get a loaded CR for around $1100-#1300 with the warranty.

I'm kind of anti-mac; but the sr seems to have stolen a few things from the mac's design. The keyboard has separated keys just like the mac. Also, the screen rolls back behind the computer when open it just like the mac.

Vista is great, but it does have its stability issues.  I'm still glad I got it, but I've had a couple of scares.  I back up regularly (just finished the weekly full backup, and I do daily file backups), so I generally don't worry too much about it.

I got the Lenovo X61, and I'm absolutely thrilled with it.  It seems like a lot of people on here are worried about money (which baffles me, since this is a drop in the bucket compared to what you are spending on tuition, and is an EXTREMELY important tool), but I was not.  I upgraded everything on the machine--4g of RAM, 160g 7200 RPM hard drive, the best processor, etc.--and I'm very glad I did.  I ended up spending $2230 for the computer, a USB hard drive, a flash drive, and an 8-cell battery, and I definitely think it was money well spent.  I'm never waiting for my computer to catch up to me, and that allows me to concentrate on what's going on. 

Another thing that I think gets overlooked is the trackpoint on the Lenovo.  I've heard people talk about it like it's a minus, but it has been incredible.  I was developing severe carpal tunnel from using the touchpad of my last laptop, and it has completely gone away since I've been using this one.  I could not recommend it more highly. 

Edit:  Not to mention, this thing barely weighs anything!  You'll realize how important that is when you're lugging your stuff around every day.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 01:23:05 PM »

Vista is great, but it does have its stability issues.  I'm still glad I got it, but I've had a couple of scares.  I back up regularly (just finished the weekly full backup, and I do daily file backups), so I generally don't worry too much about it.

I got the Lenovo X61, and I'm absolutely thrilled with it.  It seems like a lot of people on here are worried about money (which baffles me, since this is a drop in the bucket compared to what you are spending on tuition, and is an EXTREMELY important tool), but I was not.  I upgraded everything on the machine--4g of RAM, 160g 7200 RPM hard drive, the best processor, etc.--and I'm very glad I did.  I ended up spending $2230 for the computer, a USB hard drive, a flash drive, and an 8-cell battery, and I definitely think it was money well spent.  I'm never waiting for my computer to catch up to me, and that allows me to concentrate on what's going on. 

Another thing that I think gets overlooked is the trackpoint on the Lenovo.  I've heard people talk about it like it's a minus, but it has been incredible.  I was developing severe carpal tunnel from using the touchpad of my last laptop, and it has completely gone away since I've been using this one.  I could not recommend it more highly. 

Edit:  Not to mention, this thing barely weighs anything!  You'll realize how important that is when you're lugging your stuff around every day.

I could not agree more.  I refuse to by a laptop that doesn't have an eraser head mouse.  It is SOO much more comfortable.  I dont have to move my hands away from the keyboard to move the mouse, and the control is better too!