Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why don't people say what school they go to on this board?  (Read 964 times)

quincyyyyy

• View Profile
Why don't people say what school they go to on this board?
« on: August 08, 2008, 01:04:51 AM »
People say they go to a T14, T1, T2, good school, very good school, etc. etc.  Why not just come out with it and say what school you go to?  It pretty f'ing annoying.  And to preempt the obvious question, I go to SMU.

MissNatalie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why don't people say what school they go to on this board?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 01:47:55 AM »
Haha. I thought the same thing when I first came across this site.  Frankly I think its a little silly, but whatever.  I'm sure it all started with some dude not wanting to say and it caught on.  Obviously, I don't have a problem with it.
Class of 2011

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 01:55:19 AM »
Undergrad - obvious reason (potential trolling adcomms)
Law School - obvious reason (embarrassed they're not at Yale)

brianwithani

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 09:03:27 AM »
I'm obviously attending Mercer Univ. I guess when one is acting like an a-hole and badmouthing fellow students, professors, and their school, they don't want to be "outed". 
"We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, then, is a habit."  Socrates

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 11:23:17 AM »
If you disclose your school and a few other tidbits, it would be pretty easy for anyone at your school to figure out who you are.  Also, as to others who don't go to your school, many people on the internet will browse through your past posts to find something personal to insult.  If rank is somehow relevant to the conversation, disclosing a range is usually sufficiently specific.

I find it much more obnoxious when people disclose the rank of their school in contexts where it is irrelevant.  "I go to a T14 school, and I was parking my car the other day when I spilled my coffee.."  Give me a break, if you are that desperate to gloat you are obviously a very insecure person.

oh noze

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 12:14:08 PM »
If you disclose your school and a few other tidbits, it would be pretty easy for anyone at your school to figure out who you are.  Also, as to others who don't go to your school, many people on the internet will browse through your past posts to find something personal to insult.  If rank is somehow relevant to the conversation, disclosing a range is usually sufficiently specific.

I find it much more obnoxious when people disclose the rank of their school in contexts where it is irrelevant.  "I go to a T14 school, and I was parking my car the other day when I spilled my coffee.."  Give me a break, if you are that desperate to gloat you are obviously a very insecure person.

I'm a Cooley 2L and as I was driving my Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS to my summer associate job at WLRK, I spotted a fellow community college graduate. We had lunch and discussed the current political climate, eventually shifting the focus of our discussion to the recently rising cost of rice. Back in the day, you used to be able to buy rice for 6 dollar for 20 pounds. Nowadays, 20 pounds of basmati rice can run you over 13 dollars! I really like my basmati rice  but I'm not sure if I can afford to pay 13 dollars for 20 pounds of rice without cutting corners on the maintenance of my Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS that I drive to my summer associate job at WLRK. This is devastating. :(

TimMitchell

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 12:19:19 PM »
Luckily I've made it impossible for anyone to ever identify me!  8)

Actually, I'm looking forward to possibly meeting some LSDers when I start school. For the record, I respect a persons choice to remain anonymous so if you see me and don't want to be outed I'll understand.

Most people seem to be pretty forthcoming about where they went to school. About 1/2 the people on here still have their LSN profile up and you can see the little "A" where they are going to school.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 01:07:29 PM »
Luckily I've made it impossible for anyone to ever identify me!  8)

Actually, I'm looking forward to possibly meeting some LSDers when I start school. For the record, I respect a persons choice to remain anonymous so if you see me and don't want to be outed I'll understand.

Most people seem to be pretty forthcoming about where they went to school. About 1/2 the people on here still have their LSN profile up and you can see the little "A" where they are going to school.

you think.  i've been in that bar plenty of times.

sat right behind you, as a matter of fact.

followed you home a couple of times.

heh.
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD