Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What Are 1L Jobs That Pay? (Besides Firms.)  (Read 2151 times)

Visual Dictionary

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
What Are 1L Jobs That Pay? (Besides Firms.)
« on: August 07, 2008, 11:50:10 PM »
Certain DC Organizations?  PI?  Judicial externships?  What are some jobs that will help pay the bills, since the last thing I'll need will be more loans. 

Also, do I have to apply at Dec. 1st for these places?  What are the least and most competitive 1L jobs?

I'll be attending a "good" law school, if that matters to the naming.
Yep.

kolya

• View Profile
Re: What Are 1L Jobs That Pay? (Besides Firms.)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 12:53:35 PM »
Research assistantship!  They don't pay a ton, but should cover the bills, and you stand to learn more than almost anyone else will over their 1L summer.

Bouzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • yummy
    • View Profile
    • Buy This
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 01:02:59 PM »
I don't know how you feel about the word "internship," but hearing it makes me feel like I just drank a warm batch of sour milk.  Too many internship horror stories throughout college ruined it for me, and I won't even mention my own brushes with the glamorous world of unpaid editorial stints.

well, you can always call yourself a "law clerk" rather than a "legal intern" if it floats your boat.  BTW legal interships aren't like undergrad internships, legal interns are repsonsible for legal research, drafting documents, and other generally non-menial "stuff."  You won't be running around getting coffee.
1L

"I feel really bad for you. I mean, you don't know anything."

Bouzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • yummy
    • View Profile
    • Buy This
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 01:53:01 PM »
I don't know how you feel about the word "internship," but hearing it makes me feel like I just drank a warm batch of sour milk.  Too many internship horror stories throughout college ruined it for me, and I won't even mention my own brushes with the glamorous world of unpaid editorial stints.

well, you can always call yourself a "law clerk" rather than a "legal intern" if it floats your boat.  BTW legal interships aren't like undergrad internships, legal interns are repsonsible for legal research, drafting documents, and other generally non-menial "stuff."  You won't be running around getting coffee.

Do they pay?

Also, do you they have a better title?  I was hoping to call myself "defender of justice."  Too soon?  Should I wait until I obtain my own vaguely British butler and an underground lair where I use sonar to hone in on cell phones?

You can pick the money or the title; never both.
1L

"I feel really bad for you. I mean, you don't know anything."

resipsaloquitur

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 09:19:06 PM »
There may be grants for doing PI work.  Check with your career office and financial aid office since they may know of some grants.

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 12:12:10 PM »
What else are you looking for?

Note that the category "firms" covers a wide range of places, from biglaw to a sole practitioner.  They generally all pay, in varying degrees.

"PI" is also a large category, from non-profits to PDs to DAs.  You can often get $ from your school if you go that route.  I worked for a state district court judge and got a $3-4k stipend from my school.

Other categories?  Well, you could intern with an in-house corporate attorney, but unless its a giant corporation they're not going to hire anyone out of law school; they'll poach associates from the firms they work with.  You might be able to get paid at one though.

Lawyers do a lot of other small, esoteric niches, but they don't generally intern law students. 

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 07:21:11 AM »
There are all kinds of other options as well, but it really depends on your background/interests/skills set.  For my 1L summer, I did a fellowship with a General Counsel that paid $25/hour - but it was in a field that I had about six years of pre-law school work experience and a masters degree in. 

Anyway, these option are out there, but this research will be a lot easier to do once you're in school.  Talk to the senior students, network with local bar groups and other attorneys, meet with someone from OCS, read the Law Prof Blogs, think about what substantive fields you're interested in... 

Also:

You can pick the money or the title; never both.

Bouzie, I love you! :D
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 08:55:36 AM »
Some schools have grants that will at least cover your bills for the summer while you do public interest work. I did this my 1L summer.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

JulietteV

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 01:31:21 PM »
I was lucky enough to get to work as a legal intern in-house at a tech company.  They paid me $35/hour.  I think most in-house positions pay about the same.

papercranes

• Sr. Citizen
  • Beer Lao. Why did I leave and come to law school?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 01:52:48 PM »
Certain DC Organizations?  PI?  Judicial externships?  What are some jobs that will help pay the bills, since the last thing I'll need will be more loans. 

Also, do I have to apply at Dec. 1st for these places?  What are the least and most competitive 1L jobs?

I'll be attending a "good" law school, if that matters to the naming.

oh good god, wally....
university of southern california 2011