Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Vision Plan: worth it?  (Read 1051 times)

john jacob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Vision Plan: worth it?
« on: August 07, 2008, 12:24:15 PM »
Is it worth the expense to get a vision plan? Or should I just pay the optomotrist out of pocket and go to 1800 contacts?

*devo*

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Vision Plan: worth it?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 12:39:52 PM »
Is it worth the expense to get a vision plan? Or should I just pay the optomotrist out of pocket and go to 1800 contacts?

As someone who has worn contacts for 10 years and only recently got a vision plan, I suggest you go without it.  When I went in for my appointment I was still charged $50 and the discount on my contacts wasn't enough to offset the higher prices that a doctor's office will charge.

I suggest you call around and find out who gives the cheapest exams; I heard Wal-Mart is cheap. Then I would order contacts online.  There are places even cheaper than 1800 contacts if you look.

likeitmatters

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 01:18:10 PM »
you really have to take into consideration how much the plan costs on a monthly basis + the cost of your exam/contacts after insurance payments versus how much you'd pay for your exam/contacts without any insurance help.  usually a vision plan is a really big help, since they tend to cover a full year's worth of contact lenses.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 01:19:10 PM »
Costco has cheap exams too.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

omnipotens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 01:25:18 PM »
http://www.vsp.com/

I use the above.  It is a discount plan but it is actually really good.  Last year all I paid was $15 for my visit and a years worth of contacts.  

It costs close to $150 to enroll...but that is cheaper (at least in my case) than paying for the visit and the contacts without the program.

john jacob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 11:47:30 AM »
thoughts on dental plans?