Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Disappointed in OCI - Read this instead  (Read 2109 times)

dggggh

• View Profile
    • Email
Disappointed in OCI - Read this instead
« on: August 07, 2008, 11:46:24 AM »
I'm a little disappointed about how few interviews I've gotten after applying to twenty-nine places (for the first week). Specifically, I am a 2L at American University, in the top twenty-five percent, and am on the international law journal. Despite this, I only got one interview (Thompson Hine). Is this normal? If not, what should I do now to ensure that I have a job next summer? In addition, how many more places should I apply to/how many interviews is a *good* number so that I am playing it safe?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Disappointed in OCI - Read this instead
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 11:58:50 AM »
Hey sorry OCI is not going the way you hoped, but you in a large legal market I would recommend seriously networking over the next year and see what you can find that way, I posted some of my networking tips here, hopefully that will give you some idea of things you can do. Good luck! http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4013253.0.html
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

dggggh

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 12:15:16 PM »
That's good advice -- thanks!

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 12:20:40 PM »
That's good advice -- thanks!

Cool hope it helps, all my jobs/leads have come from networking, I'm trying OCI this year as back up since I already have offers, hopefully you can get the same results if you start now I bet DC has lots of networking options for you, hang in there!
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Rajah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 03:49:17 PM »
I also go to American and was disappointed by the number of interviews I got.

OConnorScribe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 05:03:12 PM »
Matthies is absolutely right ... the best job search is always the one that doesn't follow above-ground orthodoxy. Relying on OCI is like sending resumes directly to human resources ... it's not the way to go if you want the type of job you seek. Most managers with hiring power appreciate it when you contact them for advice or help, and they are often impressed when you appeal to them, because it shows 1. You are aggressive and 2. You research the company and were able to discover who the hiring manager was on your own. In my old business (communications/journalism/Internet) almost no one is hired through contact with H.R. past a certain point. It's all networking, elbow grease and research. 
Pace '10

TeeTwenty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 10:43:27 PM »
Do a mailing to firms in the cities/areas you want to work in. Give it about two weeks, and then call anyone you haven't heard from.

sage18

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 03:17:06 AM »
what sort of places did you apply?