Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Disappointed in OCI  (Read 3589 times)

dggggh

• View Profile
    • Email
Disappointed in OCI
« on: August 07, 2008, 11:33:46 AM »
I'm a little disappointed about how few interviews I've gotten after applying to twenty-nine places (for the first week). Specifically, though I am a 2L at American University, in the top twenty-five percent, and am on the international law journal. Despite this, I only got one interview (Thompson Hine). Is this normal? If not, what should I do now to ensure that I have a job next summer? In addition, how many more places should I apply to/how many interviews is a *good* number so that I am playing it safe?

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Disappointed in OCI
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 11:48:55 AM »
you haven't gotten any response b/c it's tough to generalize.  what caliber of firms are you applying to?  Where?  With what geographical ties?  How do you tend to interview?  Your GPA and the status of your LS don't guarantee you anything.

abevagoda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 11:47:17 AM »
You might want to reassess your resume/writing samples or something.  I am also a 2L at WCL, only top 1/3.  I'm on a brief, not a journal.  I have good internship experience, etc.  I ended up with 7 early week interviews at pretty good firms.  You sound like you have better curb appeal than I do, so perhaps there is a problem with your resume format.  If it is any consolation, I didn't get thompson.

T&H seems like a good place, but i've also heard some negative stuff, like low quality work.  Just a heads up.   

legend233

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 11:18:23 AM »
I am extremely frustrated with OCI. I am in the top 20% at a high tier 2. My school uses a prescreening system. So far, I have received 10 interviews, 2 alternates, and 16 rejections. Of the 16 rejections, 10 of them have come from firms that are ranked lower then the 10 firms that I was granted an interview with. However, some of them pay more then the ones I was chosen to interview with.

For example, I was chosen for the firm ranked just inside the top 10 in the state and it pays $2000 a week. Meanwhile, I was not chosen for a firm ranked in the 30s that pays $2300 a week. I was told by career services (and some 3Ls) that I probably wasn't chosen because the firm doesn't think I will accept an offer from them. I really do not think it is fair at all that someone with a lower GPA/rank gets a shot at a firm that pays more then me, and faces a lower level of competition in doing so. Meanwhile, I'm stuck with only 10 interviews (so far...we are still waiting on about 10 more firms to make their selections) against stiff competition because my firms are ranked higher in prestige, PPP, number of attorneys/support staff, etc.

I understand that if my rank was in the top 10% then maybe I would be "overqualified" for a firm ranked in the 30s or 40s in our market. However, how is one "overqualified" when (barely) ranked in the top 20%? At this point, with the market being what it is and me being so desperate to land a job, I would sign with any of the firms in my market that paid more then 80K.

Just venting. End of rant.

Kittyl30

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 11:55:47 AM »
you should be happy with 10 interviews from a high tier two.  I wouldn't worry too much about the rejections.  I got rejected from a lot of lower ranked firms then i got interviews from.  just focus on acing the ones you've got
she says she's tired of life
everybody's tired of something..

legend233

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 12:47:56 PM »
I am thrilled with the 10 interviews, don't get me wrong. And they are all at firms that pay very well (100K and up). I know that there are tons of variables, but I'm afraid that my odds aren't that good with only 10 screening interviews. I also know that it only takes one interview to eventually land an offer. However, I've also heard of people having 10 or so screening interviews and not getting a single callback or a single offer.

legend233

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 05:18:28 PM »
Is this acceptable? Our career services told us not to apply to any OCI firms outside of school. In fact, they made a pretty big deal of it. Has anybody actually had success with that?

Reaching

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 07:41:52 PM »
Is this acceptable? Our career services told us not to apply to any OCI firms outside of school. In fact, they made a pretty big deal of it. Has anybody actually had success with that?

At some point you have to put your own interests above your career services' offices interest. Just my 2 cents.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 08:17:06 PM »
Our career services told us not to apply to any OCI firms outside of school. In fact, they made a pretty big deal of it. Has anybody actually had success with that?

Wow. Are they actively trying to prevent you from getting a job?
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

legend233

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 08:36:33 PM »
Yeah, I was a little confused by their request (read: demand).

So if I apply outside of school, should I explain in the cover letter that I applied through OCI but was not selected? How does one say that without sounding like a complete jerk? Because you are basically saying "you didn't select me, but I think you should take another look at me." I guess I have to try to get across that I am legitimately interested in them despite not being chosen? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you to all that have already responded!