Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: X  (Read 3022 times)

America's Next Top Lawyer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Free at last!
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts as I enter my third year....
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 05:08:27 PM »
I have perusing this board long before I entered law school, and have the following advice/observations/complaints to offer:

As far as employment goes, it is only your own fault if you do not have a job.  Stop blaming the market, or your school's rank, or the career services department.  I have come to realize that many law students are just lazy.  When I was made fun of for sending out 285 resumes my first year, I bought into the criticisms.  People constantly said, "I can't believe you spent $600 bucks on sending out resumes, I would never do that."  I received 282 rejections, and 3 offers.  I got to work at a medium sized litigation firm, and when the summer was over I had $5000 in the bank and 15 or so writing samples.  I wasn't top of my class, I don't go to a T14 school; it was mere effort.  If you never send out resumes, you will never get a job, it is as simple as that.  Go ahead and have fun on your study abroads and vacationing your 1L summer, but don't come crying to the LSD when your SOL about not having a job.

There are many people who get summer associate gigs but dont get offers at the end. So dont count all of your eggs before they hatch. I wish you the best with that but you would be in a better position to call people "lazy" after you pass the bar and get a job.

There are many smart people who did exactly what you said you did. But didn't end up with jobs. So please lets not overgeneralize. But good luck.

MCD

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 05:49:15 PM »
yea, the op needs to keep a lid on it. His advice might apply to him but he shouldn't assume that it applies to everyone else. Yea, if you send out 600 apps you're more likely to get a job than if you send out 10 or 20. You're also more likely to win the lottery if you buy 600 tickets instead of one. I don't think it's that hard getting A job. It's getting the biglaw ones that pay 120k+ a year that is difficult. If you're rock bottom of your class then maybe you're better off saving the postage for your first loan repayment.

One semester an extra copy of one exam was made and graded. Guess what, one of the copies got a lower grade! I guess it was the phantom student's fault for not studying enough eh? While it may help, being a hard worker does not = a good job. When your mom told you that you could grow up to be anything you wanted to be, she was lying.

MCD

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 06:04:19 PM »

Why not $1000? Why not $10,000 on postage? why not apply to every job in all 51 states and abroad. At what point does the cost outweigh the benefit? Is it worth the postage applying to every biglaw firm with top 10% requirements when your grades are C-,C,C,C,C,C+,C-,D,D+.

I think you need to realize that you are not all law students. Everyone's situation is different. Not all people recognize value in pissing away hours on cover letters to firms requiring law review and top 10% when they're bottom 10%.

hammer296

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 06:09:26 PM »
I'm a t50 bottom of the class man.  sent a zillion emails and letters. tried government as well. tried offering to work for free.

didn't even bother looking for summer SA stuff becuase its obviously way out of my league.  didn't get anything even offreing to work for free. 

took a leave of absence to look for stuff in spring full time outside law. no luck there either.

i don't think its my fault. (unless being at the bottom of the class is "my fault")

you must be the smartest economist ever.  whoever thought the solution to unemployment was to tell people to mass mail more! brilliant!

hammer296

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 06:28:27 PM »

I would send letters to every jurisdiction, in every state, for any sort of job, until something bit.

Until you have done that, then you can whine and moan.

so you want me to relocate to another state for an internship before i complain?  what if (even a paid job) falls though after 1 week.  you loose quite a bit of money relocating for such things.

i guess im being a little untruthful.  i could really get a job working as a cab driver or move theater attendant. but i dont think i need to take those jobs before i 'complain'

some people dont try and loose.  some don't try and get lucky. some people try hard and won. and some people try hard and loose. thats just the basic reality. it doesn't change becuase you personally are in one of the above categories.

MCD

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 06:42:20 PM »
You didn't really offer advice so much as scolding for those who aren't like you. I suggest you worry about your own job search and stop jumping to conclusions about other people.

gershonw

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 06:44:31 PM »
All of you are right...just keep doing what you've been doing, it seems to be working very well.  I try to offer advice, and it was rebuffed quite harshly.

Let me know how that whole "not sending letters" strategy works out

you didn't just offer advice. you said that "As far as employment goes, it is only your own fault if you do not have a job"

in other words ALL people that didn't have jobs were complaining and it was 100% their fault.  nobody said you cant send letters its your attitude we don't like. 

Shadowalker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 07:44:35 PM »
NM

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 08:17:39 AM »
All of you are right...just keep doing what you've been doing, it seems to be working very well.  I try to offer advice, and it was rebuffed quite harshly.

Let me know how that whole "not sending letters" strategy works out

You author a diatribe declaring "its your own fault" and telling people that what they get paid is exactly what they are worth, and then cry about harsh replies?  Also, it doesn't appear that you are qualified to give such condescending advice.  You are about to be a 3L with a job, congrats.  That puts you in roughly the top 50% of 3Ls this year, of which there are tens of thousands. 

GatorLaw2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 02:40:18 PM »
I sent out about 80 personalized letters to firms I REALLY wanted to work at; the rest were emailed through a mail merge.

Surprisingly, my job came from one of the mail merge emails

How did you attach your resume when you did your email merge?