Author Topic: X  (Read 3016 times)

yupster567

• View Profile
X
« on: August 07, 2008, 10:09:05 AM »
 X

summerlovin

• View Profile
Re: Thoughts as I enter my third year....
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 11:22:11 AM »
In terms of sending out resumes to firms for a 1L gig, do you think it is best to send them in the mail or via email?  Also, did you personalize all of your cover letters for each firm?

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 12:10:20 PM »
I have perusing this board long before I entered law school, and have the following advice/observations/complaints to offer:

As far as employment goes, it is only your own fault if you do not have a job.

I wanted to stop reading here, but I didn't.  I now wish I had.  Do you really think because you are a 3L you are qualified to give relationship advice, talk down to people who have less success finding a job, what they should think about their salary, etc.?

StrictlyLiable

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 01:32:57 PM »
I have perusing this board long before I entered law school, and have the following advice/observations/complaints to offer:

I wanted to stop reading here, but I didn't.  I now wish I had.  Do you really think because you are a 3L you are qualified to give relationship advice, talk down to people who have less success finding a job, what they should think about their salary, etc.?

Maybe you shouldn't have stopped you might have learned something useful. I mean, this guy knows EVERYTHING. He is going into his 3rd year and summered at a firm. He is completely unique and special. All of us who slogged away at lower ranked schools, graduated, studied for the bar for two months, and passed (hopefully), are nothing compared to this guy.I hope he imparts more wisdom upon me so that I can straighten myself out.

Shadowalker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 01:41:12 PM »
I agree with the general sentiment of the comments. It is a bit condescending. But, the tone of the post shouldn't overshadow some of the valuable substance that lies within.

The only thing I take issue with is the blanket prohibition on cufflinks. I wear cufflinks every day, and have done so for the last 6 years. Yes, it is dumb to start wearing them if you typically do not. However, if you typically do, then now is not the time to start changing yourself.

I received both my summer offer and permanent offer in cufflinks.

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 01:55:52 PM »
The guy is trying to help and it seems like there is some value in what he has to say.  I think he's coming from the right place and I appreciate the effort...

Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

amassherst

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 01:56:17 PM »
I agree with the general sentiment of the comments. It is a bit condescending. But, the tone of the post shouldn't overshadow some of the valuable substance that lies within.

The only thing I take issue with is the blanket prohibition on cufflinks. I wear cufflinks every day, and have done so for the last 6 years. Yes, it is dumb to start wearing them if you typically do not. However, if you typically do, then now is not the time to start changing yourself.

I received both my summer offer and permanent offer in cufflinks.

Same here.  The cufflinks.  I started wearing cufflinks a few years ago and my work shirts may be half French and half button cuff.  I'd say go ahead and I wouldn't suggest that guys stay away from them.  I'm no fashion expert and I've never worked in a law firm, but if you like them, wear them.  Some are ridiculous.  Use judgment.

amassherst

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 02:23:45 PM »
The guy is trying to help and it seems like there is some value in what he has to say.  I think he's coming from the right place and I appreciate the effort...

Yeah, there's some decent take-away in the original post.  There's another similar post that I read recently about someone busting their donkey through intense networking and resume mailings from 1L day one all the way through.  Overall, I just feel good intentions here, though I can see how it can be taken as condescending.  But it's just laid out in a matter of fact manner, that's all.  I don't think that this guy wrote in any more of an omnipotent tone than many of the other current law students here.  Certainly, he wasn't friendly at some points and some statements are unsympathetic perhaps cold and maybe slightly off the mark but I was never like: "who the f- is this guy?".  And, really, who's statements are on the mark all the time every time?

I don't think he was giving relationship advice.  His relationship suggestion is too short and general to be considered relationship advice. It's more like a relationship Personal Statement/essay prompt.  He's basically telling you to "Write your own relationship story around a law student love scenario."   

JulietteV

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 03:05:04 PM »
I agree with a lot of what the OP said.  In terms of finding a job for my 1L summer, I also sent a ton of resumes to every firm or company.  My school is only ranked in the top 100, so I knew I had my work cut out especially with trying to compete with the 2Ls and all the higher ranked schools in the area.  I did not get a firm position, but I was lucky enough to get a paid internship working with the in-house legal department at a company.  This turned out to be a good addition to my resume as my company is a big client for many of the law firms in this area.

Also, don't rule out clerking for a judge.  You may not get paid, but it's really good experience and you can probably get some credits from your law school, and take a lighter load during your 2L fall.  And finally, I had some friends who studied abroad their first summer.  Some study abroad programs have deals with firms in foreign countries where you can actually intern for about 6 weeks.  Again, it's unpaid and you can probably only get school credits, but for those who have trouble finding a 1L summer job, this is an awesome opportunity to be able to work in a foreign country.  I have a friend who is doing that now and is having a blast.

NoUsername

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 03:44:22 PM »
I don't think you have any clue what you are talking about.  You are a guy who worked semi-hard at something, and succeeded at it.  I know people who did everything you described and more and couldn't find summer work.  Don't get high and mighty about "its your own fault."  You are a 3L, for all you know your post-graduation employment could fall through and you could have a hell of a time lining something else up.  I doubt you'd look in the mirror then and say "its your own fault."