Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: anyone cold call judges to try to intern prior to starting law school?  (Read 1132 times)

olderapplicant

• View Profile
anyone cold call judges to try to intern prior to starting law school?

Holden Caulfield

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: anyone cold call judges to try to intern prior to starting law school?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 08:19:53 PM »
Dude...no...

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 02:12:05 AM »
You're not supposed to try to contact anyone about a job until after November 1st.

Even then, it'd probably be better to try to network first or something.

But why don't you try it anyway and tell us how it goes?
_______
.|E|R|S.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 02:33:08 AM »
Why the hell would you even think of doing that unless your uncle happens to be a judge or something like that?

That said, I do encourage you to give it a go and report on the results. It should make for some fun reading for the rest of us, assuming you get some sort of response besides a hangup.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 02:49:23 AM »
I'm a 0L so obviously what I'm going to say isn't from experience, but I think it has potential for success depending entirely on whether you have any legitimate connection to a judge ie you are from an underrepresented area and so are they, you have the same obscure alma mater, etc. I once ran into a local politician while out and about with my mum when I was in my hometown who at that time held a one of the highest ranking positions in the Canadian cabinet and my mum vaguely knew him (he is also the brother of my dad's friend's wife though I didn't mention that at the time) and we just stopped by and asked if when he was back in Ottawa if I could set up a meeting with him and he said sure and gave me the name of his personal secretary. I guess it depends if you are cold calling for a job or just to meet and like I said, if you have any sort of connection and aren't just calling people randomly, but I don't think it's the end of the world. Some people like that sort of gumption.....though some don't.....

Dreamin192

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 05:10:16 PM »
As a 1L there are rules and regulations set up by the ABA concerning such things as trying to find clerkships, your school should explain these to you. DO NOT call the judge, wait until after Nov. 1st and go through the traditional route, I have actually heard places can't even start considering 1L's till Dec. 1st but you can start to utilize your career services office starting Nov. 1st.
Whittier Law 2011