Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: commercial outlines - WHICH ONE?!  (Read 866 times)

mac

• View Profile
commercial outlines - WHICH ONE?!
« on: August 05, 2008, 11:07:33 PM »
Hi All,

I've been reading from various sources that commercial outlines are a necessary supplement for most 1L's. I've heard recommendations for 2. The Emanuel outlines and the Gilbert outlines.

So my question is Gilbert or Emanuel? Thanks!

mac

• View Profile
Re: commercial outlines - WHICH ONE?!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 11:17:26 PM »
I guess I should also add option 3: none at all.

Any advice on this is appreciated! Thanks!

Slice57

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 03:24:58 PM »
I typically wait until I get the course outline and then see which spends the most time on the topics we will cover in that class. However, I prefer Emanuel.

I strongly suggest using the outlines. It helps with the format and provides clear info on topics that you might be having problems with. However, they are meant to be a supplement to your own outlines, not a replacement!

ronaldo699

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 03:33:37 PM »
hmm, as a 3L , here are some of the books that works for me as i remember em

crim law: dressler, understanding

civ pro: emmanuel (my class loved examples n explanations - but i found it to be too much of a painful slow read..)

con law: chimerinsky

property: didn't use one cuz my prof taught mostly ny law

torts: a small green book, maybe gannon or something?? forget name - sry

contracts: didnt need one cuz prof rocked

anyway - i bought a bunch every semester, and one of the things about hornbooks is that they usually have decent resale value on amazon etc ..   my suggestion is buy a few and see which one works best for you and the subject matter that ur prof teaches..

jsb221

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 07:50:34 PM »
I'll throw Glannon's E&E for Civ Pro into the mix, as well as the Crunchtime Series in every class. Also Chirelstein for Contracts and Understanding Property Law by Sprankling for Property. Finally, I liked the Law in a Flash cards, bbut mostly just for the practice hypos. Really, use what works best for you though. The first semester is trial and error when it comes to study guides.

legalese_retard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 05:49:43 PM »
Wait until class begins and start asking 2Ls and 3Ls who took the same class. Sometimes commercial outlines are pointless, especially if you have a professor that takes the "it's my way or the highway approach" to the law. These professors will doc you points if you fail to give a verbatim definition of the law as she/he explains it in class or if you restate the law in a different order presented in class. There might also be commerical outlines that you can tell the professor actually refers to, so it would benefit you the most to find out which outlines 2L and 3Ls found most useful.

Personally, I think you are better off with outlines created by previous students. Don't rely on these outlines, but use them and try to make them your own by adding or redacting stuff in those outlines.