Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My advice to the starting 1Ls (LONG)  (Read 43698 times)

MCB

• View Profile
Re: My advice to the starting 1Ls (LONG)
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2009, 06:44:04 PM »
Wow.  A thread on this pretentious board that doesn't make me want to google "bankruptcy student debt suicide".  Way to contribute something realistic yet positive to the world OP, thanks.

LOL, you've never been to TLS have you? But thanks!  ;)

I'm almost scared to ask but... TLS?
USD 2L

MCB

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2009, 06:46:20 PM »
Ah, you mean Top Law Schools... no I've only viewed that board very occasionally when I was googling some random law-related subject and it popped up.
USD 2L

legalized

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2010, 10:32:37 AM »

Also: it is likely that there are several non-profits in the area of your school/home that will let you volunteer there as a 0L, or a 1L.  Getting experience on your resume as soon as possible really helps.

Had to bump this for us newbies who are facing the aftermath of the Great Recession.

I intend to do exactly that too, volunteer at any law office/non-profit I can get my hands on as an 0L to get some legal experience on my resume and under my belt. Particularly if I can find one in the field I am interested in.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2010, 05:45:32 AM »
Good move bumping this up. 

A few additional thoughts, tying in with resources that weren't around when the original post was written. 

A major consideration for one's intial jobs is to, well, do a good job.  Actually, to do an excellent job--"excellent" being a standard relative only to the partner's mind.  A large part of many law jobs, in one way or another, is creating and digesting legal memos.  Toward that end, a superb book is Jagged Rocks of Wisdom--The Memo.  It's hard-hitting, and tells it from the partners' perspective.  Better to learn these lessons before making those same mistakes in a part-time job or clerkship.  Now more than ever, don't work hard just to land the job, only to fall flat in the actual job.  Impress 'em instead.  ("Impressing them" doesn't mean what we think it means.  It means, among many other things, doing everything very, very, very well.)  Find and read this book--it will make a big difference in your career.

The next two books are more about having the right attitude:  the original Jagged Rocks and The Young Lawyer's Jungle Book.  This might seem a throwaway line, but attitude is a large part of success. 

Also, to Matthies' point, OCI is seemingly the Holy Grail, but is for many a distraction from the real work of landing that first job.  One book I've reviewed that is also good on this point: Insider's Guide to Getting a Big Firm Job..

Matthies, you've done a great service.

Thane. 

xxspykex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2010, 05:38:56 PM »
tag

mynjb26

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2011, 05:01:08 PM »
Great advice...Tag!!

Trane32

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2011, 12:54:31 PM »
Awesome post, Matthies!! Thank you.. TAG!

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2011, 03:56:39 PM »
tag

soccerlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2012, 11:03:18 PM »
Advice for a 0L who will be living in her law school city the summer before law school? Best way to start networking before school starts?

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2012, 01:50:24 AM »
Advice for a 0L who will be living in her law school city the summer before law school? Best way to start networking before school starts?

Go to the first post in the thread, read each bullet point, and if it's something you can do, do it. Also, go back through posts by Matthies and take from them all the wisdom you can.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.