Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My advice to the starting 1Ls (LONG)  (Read 42975 times)

TrumpWho??

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: My advice to the starting 1Ls (LONG)
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2008, 08:16:30 AM »
tag

Muhammad Ali

• Who's the prettiest? Who's the greatest?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2008, 12:07:13 PM »
Thanks, Matthies!  And thanks for meeting up with me that one late afternoon.  I had a great time in your city.
I'm the most recognized and loved man that ever lived cause there weren't no satellites when Jesus and Moses were around, so people far away in the villages didn't know about them.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/muhammadali

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2008, 12:21:30 PM »
Thanks, Matthies!  And thanks for meeting up with me that one late afternoon.  I had a great time in your city.

Cool, sorry I did not get to take you to breakfeast with my group, but with all the vactions we did not meet much over summer, keep up the networking and good luck at your school I'm sure your going to do great!
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2008, 11:10:26 AM »

I would advise to get some business cards made to for when start meeting attorneys. You'll feel like an ass if they hand you a card and you write your info down on the back of a piece of paper or napkin. Start acting like a professional. Professionals have business cards.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2008, 01:28:53 PM »

Cool, sorry I did not get to take you to breakfeast with my group, but with all the vactions we did not meet much over summer, keep up the networking and good luck at your school I'm sure your going to do great!

Oh, hey, I forgot to mention. Guess who got the highest grade in Anderson's? Thanks for your advice in LP. It made the class much easier.

Not only is Matthies the networking source, he knows how to write brilliant memos as well, people! ;)

haha, cool congrats that GREAT highest grade in any law class is an accomplishment, in legal writing its a GREAT accomplishment, congrats man! Be sure to put that on your resume!
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2008, 01:34:37 PM »

I would advise to get some business cards made to for when start meeting attorneys. You'll feel like an ass if they hand you a card and you write your info down on the back of a piece of paper or napkin. Start acting like a professional. Professionals have business cards.

I agree with this whole heartedly. There was a huge debate thread on business cards earlier in the year. Sad to say the majority were against them. However, if youíre doing the kind of networking, serious hardcore networking, that I describe here, business cards are a must. No one will think your toolish, we are not talking about handing them out at school, we are talking about handing them out when given a card at bar associations and court and places where they will expect you, even as a student, to act like a professional. Itís a professional school, you have to start acting like a professional if your going to mix with professionals.

TimMitchell

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2008, 09:24:43 PM »

I agree with this whole heartedly. There was a huge debate thread on business cards earlier in the year. Sad to say the majority were against them. However, if youíre doing the kind of networking, serious hardcore networking, that I describe here, business cards are a must. No one will think your toolish, we are not talking about handing them out at school, we are talking about handing them out when given a card at bar associations and court and places where they will expect you, even as a student, to act like a professional. Itís a professional school, you have to start acting like a professional if your going to mix with professionals.

Is it too early to start referring to myself as Tim Mitchell, Esq or The Honorable Tim Mitchell?

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2008, 09:51:59 PM »

Is it too early to start referring to myself as Tim Mitchell, Esq or The Honorable Tim Mitchell?

I think it's a felony to add Esq to your name.  It is in CT anyways (saw it on the CT Bar Ass. website).

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2008, 10:15:36 AM »

J.D. Canidate 2011 or sensual massage therapist would be fine

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2008, 01:10:37 PM »

J.D. Canidate 2011 or sensual massage therapist would be fine

I heard TM used to go with "analrapist"