Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My advice to the starting 1Ls (LONG)  (Read 42201 times)

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
Re: My advice to the starting 1Ls (LONG)
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2008, 12:44:40 PM »
Tag this knowledge nugget

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2008, 05:05:09 PM »
Tag.

Would you mind giving some suggestions for successful conversation starters? Talk about law school? How much you love "City X?" Something non-law related? What starters have worked well for you?

I'm a shy person and have problems thinking up ways to start a conversation, especially in an intimidating situation like talking to an older judge or lawyer.

If you池e not naturally good at just starting up conversations with strangers (and most people are not) then I would suggest coming up with a few canned responses beforehand. What these should be will be up to you, what you feel comfortable talking about and what fit in with your personal conversation style. Asking someone about their practice area is always a good one. But you should have a 4-5 that you can use in any situation. Try doing a Google search for networking conversation starters and get some ideas then personalize it for your specific style.

Thanks for the advice!

Tetris. Haven't seen that dude in ages!

Yeah I thought I should pop back on, since law school is starting in two weeks. It seems appropriate.
_______
.|E|R|S.

AZWildcat

• Sr. Citizen
  • What LS in San Diego looks like..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2008, 07:57:40 PM »
Nice work Matthies!

And to give another perspective, I am a T2 grad in the top 1/3, and I have an associate job starting in three weeks that pays 160k.  It can and does happen, but it doesn't fall into your lap.  But then again, should it?  Follow this brilliant thread and the odds will be in your favor.
USD 2L

ADL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2008, 02:34:26 PM »
tagadelic. Thanks Matties!

Just for fun, anything special you would recommend to folks who are going FT (without the PT option) and are limited to nighttime activities? I will try to figure out a way to do lunches and coffee, but I fear daytime stuff just isn't in the cards this year.

Are CE classes available nights? Inns of the Court dinners?

Actually most of the school sponsored networking events will be in the evenings. The Inn of Courts are dinners, and the bar charity stuff is often at night or on the weekends. The only real daytime networking is the CLE lunches, and these are once a month. You should try to go when you can, look for ones that are close to your school, you will get lunch out of the deal and be the only one there. But the majority of the stuff will be at night so you should be fine. 

Oh one more thing, breakfast is always good too. I have a weekly breakfast I attend with some judges and lawyers, its usually over by 8:30AM so if you can find something like this (or start your own group) that can be done before class.   
Matthies,
As you said, all of the CLE events are during the day, usually from 9-5.  I can't find any info on the monthly CLE lunches on the NYSBA website.  Are you talking about the lunches that take place during some of the CLE classes?  Or do i find out about the luncheons once i join?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2008, 03:46:26 PM »

Just for fun, anything special you would recommend to folks who are going FT (without the PT option) and are limited to nighttime activities? I will try to figure out a way to do lunches and coffee, but I fear daytime stuff just isn't in the cards this year.

Actually most of the school sponsored networking events will be in the evenings. The Inn of Courts are dinners, and the bar charity stuff is often at night or on the weekends. The only real daytime networking is the CLE lunches, and these are once a month. You should try to go when you can, look for ones that are close to your school, you will get lunch out of the deal and be the only one there. But the majority of the stuff will be at night so you should be fine. 

Oh one more thing, breakfast is always good too. I have a weekly breakfast I attend with some judges and lawyers, its usually over by 8:30AM so if you can find something like this (or start your own group) that can be done before class.   
Matthies,
As you said, all of the CLE events are during the day, usually from 9-5.  I can't find any info on the monthly CLE lunches on the NYSBA website.  Are you talking about the lunches that take place during some of the CLE classes?  Or do i find out about the luncheons once i join?

Hi ADL,

I知 not sure what you mean by NYSBA, I値l assume you mean New York City? I checked their webpage and looks like they mostly do ス day CLEs. What you want to look for a section specific events, put on by the committees (Like Administrative Law Committee or Environmental Law Committee etc.) themselves rather than full blow CLE classes. Search by calendar of the committee your interested in. For example the committee on Small firms is having a 12:30-2:00PM lunch CLE that痴 only $25. http://www.nycbar.org/EventsCalendar/show_event.php?eventid=929 You basically should just plan on trying to go to the committee group CLEs as the main CLE are a lot more money and likely overkill for what you need.

Its also looks like the NYC bar association is having  a meet and greet for law students in Sept. I would highly recommend going to this as the more active committee chair people will be there and they can answer specific questions about things you can do as a law students to get involved whenthe groups meet etc. Plus this is for law stuenents so people who like emntoring will be there. http://www.nycbar.org/EventsCalendar/show_event.php?eventid=923

Also check out the Young Lawyers Division, looks like they have once a month cocktail hour. http://www.nycbar.org/YLC/first_thursdays.htm

Also be sure to check the NY State bar association and any other local bar associations they might have in the city. My city, much smaller, has a state bar, a city bar and a metropolitan bar.

Hope this helps!
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Mori

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2008, 03:47:20 PM »
tag
LSN

"Congrats - you'll be the feminine hygiene product non trad gunner who everyone hates" -
Lollypotter

ADL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2008, 07:58:19 PM »

Matthies,

Hi ADL,

I知 not sure what you mean by NYSBA, I値l assume you mean New York City? I checked their webpage and looks like they mostly do ス day CLEs. What you want to look for a section specific events, put on by the committees (Like Administrative Law Committee or Environmental Law Committee etc.) themselves rather than full blow CLE classes. Search by calendar of the committee your interested in. For example the committee on Small firms is having a 12:30-2:00PM lunch CLE that痴 only $25. http://www.nycbar.org/EventsCalendar/show_event.php?eventid=929 You basically should just plan on trying to go to the committee group CLEs as the main CLE are a lot more money and likely overkill for what you need.

Its also looks like the NYC bar association is having  a meet and greet for law students in Sept. I would highly recommend going to this as the more active committee chair people will be there and they can answer specific questions about things you can do as a law students to get involved whenthe groups meet etc. Plus this is for law stuenents so people who like emntoring will be there. http://www.nycbar.org/EventsCalendar/show_event.php?eventid=923

Also check out the Young Lawyers Division, looks like they have once a month cocktail hour. http://www.nycbar.org/YLC/first_thursdays.htm

Also be sure to check the NY State bar association and any other local bar associations they might have in the city. My city, much smaller, has a state bar, a city bar and a metropolitan bar.

Hope this helps!

thank Matthies!  you certainly have helped!
I'm in Western NY so i'm looking to join the NY State and Erie County Bar Associations.  I just moved out of the NYC area this summer, so i won't be able to make any of the NYC events.  But i will definitely look into the committee activities in the bar associations in my area.
thanks again.  :)

esquirette

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2008, 03:01:22 AM »
tag!

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2008, 11:25:18 AM »
Networking update on how I t works in tandem with OCI.

So I知 trying OCI for the first time this year. This morning I had breakfast with a judge and mentor of mine. I gave him the list of three firms that I was interested in (only ones doing OCI that have my practice area). He went down the list and rattled off names of people he knew at each firm, including named partners. Took out his blackberry and put in 田all X on behalf of Matthies and agreed to call the people he knew and strongly urge them not only to interview me, but that it would be a mistake if they did not make me an offer. He said it would do it Tuesday the day after they receive my materials and then call me back and let me know how it went. It was as easy as that. I値l let you know if anything comes of it, but it sure can稚 hurt. 
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2008, 12:00:09 PM »
::conceals jealousy, tries to act cool::