Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My advice to the starting 1Ls (LONG)  (Read 40980 times)

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: My advice to the starting 1Ls (LONG)
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 12:05:23 AM »
This is 100% correct!

TimMitchell

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 12:38:33 AM »
I'm going save this article in a word file and back it up. Seriously great advice

I'd also like to add that this advice is true for every field and will probably help after finding a job. In every business, professional or otherwise, networking is key. Nobody finds a good job on monster or craiglist, if the job was desirable they wouldn't have had to post it there or they are in a pinch. Moreover, once you have a job networking is important for establishing new business and meeting the right people.

One example I can give is there are a couple guys at my firm (sales) trying to find a new job. Both are successful salespeople with plenty of experience that would qualify for almost any position. Mr. A is a fantastic networker and keeps up with clients after the sale, had offers waiting for him before he planned on leaving. Now he's making more money in a more prestigious position. Mr. B, who I believe is the superior salesman and has the numbers to back it up, still can't find a good job. B probably would've had it easy in a booming economy, but now that it is tight jobs are tough to come by and gobbled up quick.

I don't have much to add, Matthies advice is flawless, expect to say that networking is an important component for any occupation and is also important for building and maintaining business.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 04:18:09 AM »
Thanks for the awesome advice!!  I was thinking about this recently and it's really helpful to have all the info laid out in plain language.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Put em up!

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 08:34:13 AM »
tag.

kipford

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 12:00:53 PM »
Just to add fuel to the fire:  Every entering 1L should be aware that, outside of elite schools, many OCI jobs are very selective in who can even apply.  I've been going through early interview week OCI stuff the last few weeks and virtually every one had a requirement of top 20% or better (several were top 10%) and had a stated preference of journal membership.  I was fortunate to be highly ranked and on law review, but the vast majority of students are not.  The same core group of students is getting the lion's share of these interviews.  I go to a high T2 school and was very impressed with the caliber of student there.  Virtually everyone is smart and a hard worker.  You can't expect to be in the top 10% just because you always excelled in the past-everyone at law school (most of them anyway) excelled in the past.  That is my long winded way of saying that this thread has very good advice since chances are you will not be in line for OCI jobs, at least the very good ones ("you" being the statistically likely out-of-the-top-10-to-20-percent student).

Also, don't be overwhelmed by everything here.  Instead of throwing up your arms and saying "it's too much, I can't do all that!"  Just do some of it.  Every piece of advice here can only help you.  It's not all or nothing, but obviously the more you do, the better off you will be.  Also, if some of it puts you TOO far outside of your comfort zone then think of other ways to network that fit better with your personality.

The tough thing is balance here-maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't do these things to the detriment of being prepared for class.  On the other hand, since most people don't hit the magic grade cut-offs, maybe I'm full of it?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 12:26:02 PM »

The tough thing is balance here-maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't do these things to the detriment of being prepared for class.  On the other hand, since most people don't hit the magic grade cut-offs, maybe I'm full of it?

I think your right, the key is finding a balance and time, to network. At the end of 1L your either going to be in the top 25% of your class or your not. If you not that is not the time to realize you should have been networking in addition to studying. I think too many 1Ls (myself included) get blinders the first year and focus only on grades. Thatís great if you get them, but that wonít help you find anything for 1L summer if you donít. Vice versa if you get the grades AND network youíre in an even better situation than one who just got the grades. The key, I think, is learning quickly to work and network smart and not to work and network long. I  don't think the two are exclusive of each other. 
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 12:36:40 PM »
I agree with everything being said.  Less optimistically, however, it has been my experience that really only Top 10-15% are able to get jobs through OCI. 

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 12:47:53 PM »
tagadelic. Thanks Matties!

Just for fun, anything special you would recommend to folks who are going FT (without the PT option) and are limited to nighttime activities? I will try to figure out a way to do lunches and coffee, but I fear daytime stuff just isn't in the cards this year.

Are CE classes available nights? Inns of the Court dinners?

BarryLaine

• Sr. Citizen
  • "My aim is true..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 12:48:15 PM »
Tag.  Thanks, Matthies!

Nande

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 01:10:45 PM »
You know...as a resident lurker and sometimes poster... I have to say if there is one person I will take advice from and listen to..it's this guy Matthies.  I can't tell you how many times you run across the a-holes here who are condescending, rude, and snobbish.  Who also think that just BECAUSE they are in a top 20 school it means their future is paved in gold. Maybe silver, lol.  

Case in point: I was flying to Chicago about a month ago, saw a woman with a Harvard Law shirt on.  I thought, I should go talk to her. But she went to Harvard.  Well I went ahead, spoke to her, wound up finding out about an area of law that I had NOT heard of and she was pretty impressed with the fact I had even stepped to her like that in an airport.  She pretty much told me I needed to make sure I kept in touch with her.  

Anyway, thanks for this post Matthies, as always you hit the nail on the head. ;D
stuffblackpeoplehate:
"I'm angrier than John McCain on MLK day"