Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Dark Knight...Overrated?  (Read 4211 times)

TimMitchell

Re: The Dark Knight...Overrated?
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 11:04:05 AM »
In addition to that, I thought she was extremely unattractive to be cast as Batman's love interest.

TITCR

Also, my ex gf, who is a dancer, was so annoyed that the ballet dancers had huge boobs. She said that was COMPLETELY unrealistic.

Out of all the unrealistic things in the movie she chose that to nitpick?

The "every cell phone is also a sonar device" ploy would have been my choice.

I'll second that, that's the main reason I thought this movie was overrated. Seemed a slightly impossible scenario and goes against the realism that christopher nolan was trying to portray.

Where was Rebecca Romijn, Charlize Theron, Jessica Biel, Halle Berry, Angelina Jolie? I simply cannot believe Maggie Gylenhaal was the only female available

WSS- had to fix your last statement ;)  I don't know much about Rebecca Romijn.  Jessica Biel is beautiful and has a great body, but she's such a generic actress.  Angelina Jolie annoys me on a level I can't even explain!  I think the bolded would be the best choices. 

Halle Berry is already Catwoman...

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 02:06:50 PM »
Don't mock me if I'm incorrect here, because I'm still just an ignorant 0L, but didn't the film make a minor mistake in Harvey Dent's trial near the beginning?  He was questioning that mafia guy, and when the witness redacted what he'd said in the deposition Harvey asked permission to treat the witness as hostile.  After the witness tried to shoot him, someone else said to Dent, "Helluva cross," or something like that.

But aren't opposing witnesses already treated as hostile?  I thought the whole point of asking permission to treat someone as a hostile witness was so that you could ask leading questions of your own witness, etc.

Again, don't mock me if I'm mistaken, but this did bug me.

All in all, fantastic movie though.  I know it was preachy, but I thought the preachiness was a bit deeper than is standard for Hollywood.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

dpwc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 02:41:48 PM »
Don't mock me if I'm incorrect here, because I'm still just an ignorant 0L, but didn't the film make a minor mistake in Harvey Dent's trial near the beginning?  He was questioning that mafia guy, and when the witness redacted what he'd said in the deposition Harvey asked permission to treat the witness as hostile.  After the witness tried to shoot him, someone else said to Dent, "Helluva cross," or something like that.

But aren't opposing witnesses already treated as hostile?  I thought the whole point of asking permission to treat someone as a hostile witness was so that you could ask leading questions of your own witness, etc.

All in all, fantastic movie though.  I know it was preachy, but I thought the preachiness was a bit deeper than is standard for Hollywood.

Not sure about the hostile part, but the "Helluva cross" you mention was something like Gordon telling Dent "I heard you have a hell of a right cross." This was a reference to his punch, not cross-examination. Also, since they had his deposition, I assume he was their (Dent and Dawes') witness, not Maroni's.

j_sorr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 03:12:24 PM »

That witness was supposed to testify for the prosecution that Meroni was the crime boss. He recanted on the stand, which is why Dent asked to treat him as hostile.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 03:17:20 PM »

Not sure about the hostile part, but the "Helluva cross" you mention was something like Gordon telling Dent "I heard you have a hell of a right cross." This was a reference to his punch, not cross-examination. Also, since they had his deposition, I assume he was their (Dent and Dawes') witness, not Maroni's.

Ah, that explains it.  I originally assumed that he was the prosecution's witness, but I guess I misheard Gordon's line.  Thanks for clearing that up.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 07:18:50 PM »
Can we at least agree that she was an improvement over Katie Holmes? Holmes would have been even worse in this one because she has since been bodysnatched by Tom Cruise.

I'd definitely agree with this!

WhySoSerious

• View Profile
    • www.eyeglassman.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 07:22:27 PM »
I don't agree with it. Even though Katie Holmes is a terrible actress, she is at least attractive and it is believable that she would be Batman's love interest. There's no way a superhero would go out with Maggie

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 07:42:26 PM »

Funny all the “dancers” I know have huge racks and can pluck the $1 bill out of my hand with them. We must know different kinds of dancers. 

I know those dancers too. I guess I should have been more specific, lol. Ballet and modern dancers can't and don't have huge boobs. Also, I doubt that the entire Russian ballet would just stop performing and go on vacation with him. It's just, there was no point to this lack or realism.

I think this Batman works, at least for me, because it deals so much with ideas as well as action. The idea of chaos, and how humans act in it, was an interesting exploration the movie made. In fact, it was the most interesting part to me.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 07:49:31 PM »

Funny all the “dancers” I know have huge racks and can pluck the $1 bill out of my hand with them. We must know different kinds of dancers. 

I know those dancers too. I guess I should have been more specific, lol. Ballet and modern dancers can't and don't have huge boobs.

They are useless to me then. If I’m going to pay to see women dance I expect some in my face chest giggling out of it. I guess I’m not very cultured. 
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 09:02:17 PM »
I thought the movie delivered.  And why all the hate for Maggie Gyllenhaal??