Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L summer  (Read 890 times)

necro8617

• View Profile
    • Email
1L summer
« on: August 05, 2008, 03:54:46 PM »
Hey Guys, maybe you can shed some light on this....

I am going to be starting my 1L at the U of Florida in a couple of weeks. I know this is getting a bit ahead of myself, but what exactly should I expect to do my 1L summer? Ideally, I would like to do something that is law related and pays well (or pays anything for that matter). I know that many firms hire from their 2L pool, but what about 1L? Is it realistic at all to score an internship as a 1L (assuming decent grades)?

h2xblive

Re: 1L summer
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 08:21:41 PM »
Getting a first year summer associate position at a law firm (that pays 4 figures/week) is extremely difficult even for top students at T14 schools. 

Think of it this way: Pay, Legal Area of Interest, or Legal Position - pick any two.

It's not THAT hard to get a first year summer job, but if you want all of the above 3 things, you'll need some luck and good connections (in addition to good grades, of course).

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
Re: 1L summer
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 07:16:43 PM »
From what I've heard, I will just be happy doing something legal and moderately interesting...any pay would be awesome but I'm not holding my breath...especially not for a summer associate position.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't try, though.