Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 33 yr old mom - yale undergrad - chance of getting into t14??  (Read 4041 times)

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 33 yr old mom - yale undergrad - chance of getting into t14??
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 08:49:20 PM »
The OP doesn't seem to be looking for parenting advice, and I'm sure she knows the rigors of balancing law school with a family.  Replying to her question about her chances getting into the T14 with questions and/or thinly veiled judgments about her decision to apply to law school is not helpful. 

In response to the OP's question, first of all your degree from Yale is impressive, but the numbers are what matters most.  A 3.7 from Yale is great, but it's not much materially better than a 3.7 from PennState or Bowling Green.  For one, ivies have a tendency to inflate grades, a trend that most adcoms take into account.  Also, the qualitative differences between programs and schools can be hard to hash out.  As a result, your GPA is pretty much taken as face value from whichever school you attended.  There may be slight nudges upward for Yale at many schools, but the Yale name alone is not enough to really 'seal the deal'. 

Your LSAT score matters a lot.  167+ for a likely spot at a T14 - 170+ if you're talking top ten.  You are an exceptional applicant, which schools like to see.  That alone will probably set your target LSAT score 3-4 points lower than it would be if you were a more traditional applicant with 0-2 years out of undergrad.  Shoot for a 172.  I have a feeling that will be your ticket into HLS, and possibly Yale as well.  Yale will be the school most likely to appreciate your Yale degree/GPA, so your chances are pretty good there.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 10:47:31 AM »
I'm not so sure about a 3.7 being a 3.7 regardless of where its from. H and Y students are hugely over-represented at HLS and YLS from my casual observation. Some of that could be self selection but I have some reason to suspect that HLS and YLS give significant preference to H and Y graduates. Of course LSAT still matters a lot.

HLS 2010

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 11:24:00 PM »
And I really, really hope that the people who are asking about who will take care of the kids do so in all of the threads from fathers who are considering going back to school.

It's 2008 people.