Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 33 yr old mom - yale undergrad - chance of getting into t14??  (Read 3987 times)

sprinkles

• View Profile
33 yr old mom - yale undergrad - chance of getting into t14??
« on: August 04, 2008, 06:58:30 PM »
hi

i'm a 33 year old mom to 5 children and would love to go back to law school.  Can anyone help me assess my chances at getting into a t14 school?  I graduated from Yale College, cum laude with a 3.7 GPA, and distinction in the major (Economics) - that is like honors in Economics.  I finished my degree requirements in 3.5 years- therefore saving my parents the cost of an extra semester, but i did give up that last term to take fun classes and hang out with friends.  I secured a job at a Wall street Investment banking firm as an anaylst in the 2 year  Investment Banking program after being a summer analyst so my last term as a senior was pretty stress free. 

However, life took an unexpected path.  I got married right after graduation and had a baby the next year. We've moved around a lot following my husband's career and now I have 5 children.  I basically have been a full time stay at home mom since 1999, but worked as a financial consultant for about a year back in 2004 before we moved to another state for my husband's job.  I have not "worked" for the past 3 years due to baby#4 having a heart defect and baby #5's arrival.  I have mastered the extremely challenging task of running a busy household with 5 children and now feel that it is time for me to pursue my dream.  My family is behind me.  We live in the upper mid west, but if i have a chance at HYS we would pick up and go.  I know I would have to score fairly high on LSAT which i will take in October, but does anyone know how Yale Law (or another T14 would view my grades, and non-trad path?  How I (and almost everyone else) would love to go to Yale Law and return to that beautiful library I used to study at as an undergrad.   

Do I have a chance??? How do I find out the average GPA of yale undergrads accepted at Yale Law or other schools as i know that grading standards are different and i've heard that there has been some grade inflation the past 10 years

Thank you

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: 33 yr old mom - yale undergrad - chance of getting into t14??
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 09:19:56 PM »
PrepTest scores??

Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 09:30:35 AM »
Who will raise your 5 children during the 3 academic years that you will be consumed by law studies? How old is the youngest?

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 12:44:51 PM »
Good luck to you!

I'm 39, with 5 children and will be attending Berkeley with a scholarship this fall. My undergrad gpa from a no name state school was 3.87 and my LSAT was 173.

I think law schools generally like a diverse background, but it's really a numbers game. I was waitlisted at Harverd and Yale, rejected by Stanford. Accepted at Berkeley, Virginia, Chicago, with scholarships,  didn't apply to the NYC schools. I think with a Yale undergrad degree, you'll have better success at the big three if you score comparably on the LSAT.

Again, good luck!

snarkygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
"who is going to raise your children?" huuuuuuuuuh?  ppl raise children while they are working and can do the same during law school.

as an answer to the OP, it really depends on your LSAT score.  i don't think your age or situation is going to really impact your admission to schools.

Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 03:36:25 PM »
Sorry if I offended anybody by asking about the children.

The OP stated that she has stayed home raising the children herself for several years. If she goes to law school, I think it is possible that she and the children might miss each other terribly. She ought to consider the possible ramifications of her plan.

I stayed home with my children for 14 years and started working when the youngest started pre-K, and it was a very unhappy first year for the whole family. So I know that this can be a problem.

I do not think there is anything wrong with asking questions and brainstorming about possible problems. That way, maybe a person can arrange things so as to avoid the problems somewhat.  

joshm18

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 06:11:56 PM »
In my opinion, your concerns of getting into a top law school is really second to your ability to spend the time needed to do well with 5 kids.  I'm 36 and have two kids (3 1/2 and 2) and I know just with my two, my wife talked long and hard about her ability to fully commit to support me in the time I'll need to spend on studying.

I give you the utmost credit.  I'm changing careers myself (from financial services) and going back to law school as well.  With your GPA and the assumption that your LSAT scores will be in the range of the top schools, you'll be okay.

Best of luck!

just dot

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just want to be wonderful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 09:26:23 AM »
EarlCat asked the most important question.  It all depends on how you score on the LSAT.  High enough, and you could almost certainly land in the T14, particularly with your interesting background and Yale undergrad degree.

I'm also a mother going back to law school with strong family support.  I've done a lot of research and while I think it is very important to acknowledge the difficulties of seperation (my baby starts daycare tomorrow!!!), I have read many blogs of other women who have successfully managed law school with a family.  I'd be happy to give you some blog links if you're interested in reading about some of their experiences (PM me). 
To put it bluntly, I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation. But I`m working on the foundation.

princealberto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 12:00:42 PM »
Why WOULDN'T you have a chance? Do you think admissions hate old people or something? You had a 3.8 at Yale! Get an LSAT in the high 160's and you're guaranteed somewhere in the t-14.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 06:07:51 PM »
With a good lsat (170+) you'd have a good shot at HLS I think. I know less about Yale, but I suspect you'd have a chance there too. They are a much smaller school so its a bit less of a numbers game. Good recs would probably make a bigger difference at YLS than HLS (just guessing here, but somewhat educated). T14 is pretty much guaranteed so long as the LSAT works out ok. Schools don't seem to penalize non-trad's at all that I can tell.

best of luck

HLS 2010