Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Missed Classes/Attendance Classes  (Read 1189 times)

dayminder

• View Profile
Missed Classes/Attendance Classes
« on: August 04, 2008, 05:21:14 PM »
This fall I start classes, but do anticipate missing a week of classes. I am attending part-time (3 classes), which means I would miss a total of 6 classes, two on monday, two on tuesday, and two on thursday. Of the entire semester, these will be the only classes missed. Will this have a major affect on my grades? I have the opportunity to study 40 hours a week, because my full-time job allows me to study.

Jerrry

• View Profile
Re: Missed Classes/Attendance Classes
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 06:30:37 PM »
We all know the consequence(s) of missing lectures, don't we? I'm one who does this alot with the aim of studying extra on my own, but its not always the best idea if you can avoid it. Missing classes means missing some important points/caselaw or the answer to an important question ask in the course of the lecture. I was working and studying aswell, but can i eat my cake and still have it? I suppose not.

I will say if it can be avoided, then avoid it but if not just get a close friend or two to recall the lecture in datails to you.
Nothing is good or bad, thinking makes it so.

RunDMB

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Missed Classes/Attendance Classes
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 05:11:17 PM »
Don't sweat it.  I am 2L PT and missed two weeks worth of classes each semester.  My suggestion is to buddy-up with others in your class and offer to trade notes for classes missed.  Trust me, you will not be the only person in your section that will be missing class.  If you cannot arrange that, I suggest going to your prof and explaining your situation.  Sitting down with your prof for 20 minutes can be as valuable as an entire class session.  In my experience, my profs were all very understanding of planned absences and (as long as I came prepared) would discuss the materials from the classes that I missed during their office hours.