Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Backpacks  (Read 938 times)

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Backpacks
« on: August 04, 2008, 04:30:00 PM »
Any suggestions for a good backpack? I'm a soon-to-be 2L, and I'm still trying to find a good bag to carry my laptop and casebooks. I used a Targus backpack first semester 1L and a Booq Mamba Sling 2nd semester. Neither is very comfortable to carry when heavy. I want something that will protect my laptop, hold power cords and a few casebooks. I'm looking at the Booq Boa backpack with the Vyper sleeve for my Macbook Air, but I'm open to other suggestions. I want something that is at least semi-rigid with comfortable straps for the walk to school. Thanks!

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Backpacks
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 04:49:32 PM »
I use an eastpack backpack.  Its comfortable and it holds my laptop/power cord and a text book or two.  However, I should mention that I do not care what happens to my computer (Dell warranty) and I dont bring home books often.

JulietteV

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 05:21:50 PM »
I used a Northface Borealis backpack my first year.  Comfortable and padded shoulder straps + a laptop sleeve to protect your laptop.  Also the back is padded.  Overall as comfortable as you can probably get carrying laptop + heavy casebooks (fits about 2 books).  Slightly pricey (~$75), but totally worth it.

lawmama09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 09:48:19 PM »
I used a small Tumi laptop backpack last year which was comfy, but not large enough, so I often carried a second messanger bag for extra books, lunch, etc. This year I have a larger laptop backpack courtesy of my summer firm which is Swiss Army brand and very comfortable.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 11:10:05 PM »
I just got the Macroloader. You can check it out on eBags. It is truly large, and has a nifty side pocket for your laptop.

Also slightly pricy (80 bucks), but it seems worth it.

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 11:55:28 PM »
I just got the Macroloader. You can check it out on eBags. It is truly large, and has a nifty side pocket for your laptop.

Also slightly pricy (80 bucks), but it seems worth it.

That one seems pretty nice, I might investigate it further. $80 is a steal; the Booq bag I'm looking at is ~$250 with the laptop sleeve.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 10:13:59 AM »
I am looking at it right now (came yesterday) and it is really ginormasaurus. Not freakishly so, but definitely a backpack on steroids.

You also get a laptop sleeve and a wrist rest. The laptop area is really cushioned well and the straps are cushy.

I was looking at the Tom Bihn Brain Bag, but it is $140. Over $200 seems like a hell of a lot for a school pack. Maybe if I was going to Everest.

I have a promotion code for 20% off if you want to use it.

almostlegal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 11:07:04 AM »
I used a Jansport Airlift backpack which had a padded sleeve that fit my 15" MacBookPro, two large pockets, one medium pocket, one small pocket, and a little pocket for my iPod.  (There was also this neat inside pocket where I could stash things that I didn't need normally, but were nice to have on hand at times.)

The airlift straps were really comfortable, and I had very little back pain after the first two weeks of the school year.

The closest I can find to it is the JanSport Air Cure, which seems to only be available in powder blue/grey and runs $79.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/25103436/c/128425.html

I googled 'jansport air cure' and found better prices and colors.  One place (Mountain Sports) is selling it for $40.