Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Publications/Presentations= Honor/Award? and resume length  (Read 639 times)

acatac

• View Profile
Publications/Presentations= Honor/Award? and resume length
« on: August 03, 2008, 07:56:31 PM »
Hi, I am trying to get together materials for my applications and I was wondering if a publication or presentation counted as an award/honor to be listed. I am attaching my CV to all of my applications so they will see these, but should/can I list these as honors/awards as well?

While we are on the subject of resumes, since I am working in research now and would like to be a professor, I have a lengthy CV. Should I try to cut this down (if so, how many pages), or will the adcomm understand that I am submitting a CV and not a resume?

Thanks!

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Publications/Presentations= Honor/Award? and resume length
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 12:27:38 AM »
I consider CVs and resumes to be the same thing, just that a lot non-North Americans call them CVs and North Americans tend to call them resumes. Maybe in academia it's different? But I've never looked at CV's as containing anything different than a resume. I'm uncertain how much you want to cut down, but I would say that obviously two pages is the bog standard and anything more than that might not get anything more than a cursory glance.

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 01:49:22 PM »
I consider CVs and resumes to be the same thing, just that a lot non-North Americans call them CVs and North Americans tend to call them resumes. Maybe in academia it's different? But I've never looked at CV's as containing anything different than a resume. I'm uncertain how much you want to cut down, but I would say that obviously two pages is the bog standard and anything more than that might not get anything more than a cursory glance.

ding ding....In academia a CV can be quite a lengthy document.

To the OP...FWIW I cut down my CV and formatted based on sample resumes from harvard law's website.  I put down selected publications rather than the whole list.  I'd shoot for a diverse/eclectic resume rather than a laundry list of publictions and awards etc.

acatac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 04:57:09 PM »
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. For those of you who did have publications, did you include these on your honors and awards? My undergrad did not hand out very many awards (not even dean's list), so I would like to be able to put something there, if possible.

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 08:50:25 PM »
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. For those of you who did have publications, did you include these on your honors and awards?

No, IMO it doesn't make sense to include pubs as awards/honors.

Migrate

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 10:15:16 PM »
if you read ivey's guide, it says absolutely limit resume to 1 page unless there are real important publications. Adcoms are experts, and if they're not noteworthy presentations, awards, etc. it could have the effect of making your thing seem like a filler.