Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are half-credit courses weighted differently than full-credit courses?  (Read 5544 times)

blairchuckalways

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN data
I have three courses I got As in that were half-credit -- on my transcript counted as 0.5 units instead of 1.0 units, and a 2.00 GPA instead of a 4.00 -- so for example, if I took three courses one quarter and got an A in the half-credit course and two A-s in the full-credit courses, my gpa would have been a 3.76 for the quarter ((3.7+3.7+2.0)/2.5).

Does LSAC/LSDAS weigh the half credit courses differently, or will they just be counted as As normally?

Let me know if that didn't make sense...

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Are half-credit courses weighted differently than full-credit courses?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 09:41:11 PM »
I have been wondering this myself. I hope to God they count them differently otherwise my LSAC gpa is going to be something along the lines of 3.3.....

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 09:46:13 PM »
The As would count like normal As. For example, if you had three As in a 1 credit class and three As in a .5 credit class, it would be calculated as (4.0*4.5)/4.5, which would come out as a 4.0 average.

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 09:50:18 PM »
So they calculate half credits and full credits differently? I thought they would but I won't know until I see my academic summary. My first year of uni (which I took several years ago) I did quite poorly in but all those classes are half credits. All the courses I've taken since transferring are 1.0 credits and I've gotten A's in. I've taken 9 0.5 credit courses with an average gpa of 3.0 and 9 1.0 credit courses with a 4.0. So I obviously want my 4.0's to dilute my old gpa.....

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 09:59:30 PM »
The 4.0s would dilute the poor grades. If there were 9 half credit classes at 3.0 each (approx) and 9 1 credit classes worth 4.0 each (approx), the GPA would come out to ((3.0*4.5)+(4.0*9))/13.5. Which would come out to 3.666....

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 12:21:45 AM »
yeah okay good. That's what I was predicting but I was unsure how LSAT would calculate it! cheers heartbreaker

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 08:44:08 AM »
x = full credit course
x/2 = half-credit course

A half credit course is weighted differently than a full-credit course.  It is given exactly 'half' the weight.

Heartbreaker's math skills are on point.  Just multiply the grade in each course by the credit for the course.  Add the products.  Divide the sum by the total of credits taken.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.