Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Questions about PT19 and improving LR  (Read 307 times)

nooyyllib

Questions about PT19 and improving LR
« on: August 02, 2008, 02:47:03 PM »
Logic games #8-12 about four two-day workshops.

-How do you approach this game? I have no clue please help!

Logical reasoning section 4

#5: I think the key part to this stimulus is "no evidence that would even tend to support..." answer i chose originally was E but the correct answer is A. Please help explain why.

#12: This is the question about the ants and their trails. I don't know why E cannot be the correct answer. Please explain the difference between C and E.

I've started the 10 more actual lsat book and (untimed) got 161. I feel slightly better because i've been getting 157/8s untimed in 10 actual lsat book.  But at the same time i am worried because the test was untimed.  is there any way for me to improve on LR sections? i am currently trying writing out the logic of the question/answer while solving it (has helped a little bit).  I am just wondering if there are any other methods to improving LR.

Thanks!

Edit:

in addition, which PTs are in superprep A, B, C?

FatUncle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about PT19 and improving LR
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 04:38:26 PM »
Ok, for the game, this is the set-up (right click, copy image location and paste it into your browser for a clearer version - images are shrunk on this board):

The last rule is the one that yields the important inferences.  It tells us that P and R cannot be held until the day after the second workshop on lighting is held.  Immediately, then, we know that P and R cannot be on Monday or Tuesday - the earliest possible time they could be held while satisfying this rule is Wednesday.  Since there are now three days left, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, P and R, individually, have only two placement options - either Wednesday, Thursday or Thursday, Friday.  Since Thursday is common to both options, we know for sure that they will both be held on Thursday.  Whether or not one or the other is held on Wednesday or Friday is still unknown.

Likewise, since P and R must be on Thursday and must be held after the last workshop for L (lighting), we know that L has two options - it is either held on Monday and Tuesday or Tuesday and Wednesday.  Since Tuesday is common to both, it is definitely on Tuesday. 

The first rule says that a maximum of two workshops are held on each day.  Thus, S cannot be on Thursday.  Since the workshops must be consecutive, that means S cannot be on Friday either.  So S is either on Monday and Tuesday or Tuesday and Wednesday, like L.  That means we can put S into Tuesday for sure as well.

Note also that since at least one workshop must be held each day, P or R or both must be held on Friday.

Here, there are still a number of options but this is probably sufficient to move through the questions.

8.  We know immediately a) is wrong.  b) is not obviously wrong so keep it.  c) is obviously wrong from the set-up.  Same with D.  E) is wrong because if both P and R are on Wednesday nothing is left for Friday. 

That leaves b as the right answer.

9.  a) is obviously wrong from the set-up.  Same with b).  c) sounds plausible, keep it.  d) is clearly wrong.  e) violates that all important last rule that says the earliest P can begin is on the day immediately following L's second session.

You're left with c.

10.  a) is the right answer, saving you work.  If P is on Wednesday, that means L must have finished on Tuesday, meaning its first session had to have been on Monday.

11.  Again, a) is right.  If P is the only workshop on Friday, that means R must be on Wednesday and Thursday and not Thursday and Friday.  If R is on Wednesday, L must be on Tuesday and Monday.  Thus, L being in session on both Tuesday and Wednesday must be false.

12.  If L is the only session on Monday, that means S must be on Tuesday and Wednesday.  a) is wrong; can't have R on Tuesday regardless.  b) is wrong; S must be on Wednesday.  c) is not immediately wrong, keep it.  d) we know is wrong; P and R are always on Thursday and you can only have two workshops per day.  e) is wrong for the same reason; S cannot be on Thursday.

You're left with C.

FatUncle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 04:53:43 PM »
Logic games #8-12 about four two-day workshops.
#5: I think the key part to this stimulus is "no evidence that would even tend to support..." answer i chose originally was E but the correct answer is A. Please help explain why.

The attorneys claim the government destroyed evidence that would support the defendant.  The government replies that there is no evidence that would even tend to support the defendant.  The key word here being "is", as in, right now, there isn't any evidence that would support the defendant.  If this dialogue continued, the defence would say "well no sh*t, you destroyed it."  In other words, the government's reply leaves completely open the possibility that the evidence was destroyed (answer A).

E is wrong because, if true, it doesn't disprove the charge at all.  The fact that there is, at present, no evidence to support the defendant doesn't do any damage to the claim by the defence that the evidence existed and was destroyed.

#12: This is the question about the ants and their trails. I don't know why E cannot be the correct answer. Please explain the difference between C and E.

E is wrong because it simply isn't supported by the passage.  We have nothing in the passage about efficiency.  Maybe ants in the Sahara have developed a different way of marking their path when foraging for food that doesn't involve pheromones and is actually just as or more efficient than the pheromones are.  Who knows.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 05:07:35 PM »
Superprep: Feb.'s of 96, 99 , 2000.

Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN