Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any Moving companies to recommend?  (Read 2974 times)

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Any Moving companies to recommend?
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 11:19:34 AM »
Well, I had a whole long post about the relative costs and merits of each moving option (UHaul, Pods, UPackIt, moving companies) but it got eaten.

I'll sum up: for me, moving 1+ BR about 1000 miles, a moving company was not only the easiest option but the cheapest one as well. Pods and UPackIt are very expensive and you still have to move your stuff from their depot to your place, UHaul was a ridiculous amount for the truck alone and when you add in gas and a car carrier it was obscene.

If you are in a position to get rid of everything and get new stuff, that is definitely the way to go. I certainly am not, and reproducing my stuff is impossible and very costly. Hence the movers.

And I think DS invented the cool kids club, no?

dsetterl

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 12:14:18 PM »
I am referring to the anti-anonymity club.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 12:22:45 PM »
Ah.

::hides behind waveHansen's Snow-Bliz pic::

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 10:28:02 PM »
Well, I had a whole long post about the relative costs and merits of each moving option (UHaul, Pods, UPackIt, moving companies) but it got eaten.

I'll sum up: for me, moving 1+ BR about 1000 miles, a moving company was not only the easiest option but the cheapest one as well. Pods and UPackIt are very expensive and you still have to move your stuff from their depot to your place, UHaul was a ridiculous amount for the truck alone and when you add in gas and a car carrier it was obscene.

If you are in a position to get rid of everything and get new stuff, that is definitely the way to go. I certainly am not, and reproducing my stuff is impossible and very costly. Hence the movers.

This was my conclusion about my situation as well, hence my question about moving companies rather than how I should move.

In the end, I think I'm going to go with a local company.  One that has their own trucks with their own logo, instead of a shady national-network company.

For everyone's info: there's a website worth going to when you're looking at moving companies. http://www.movingscam.com/   Check their blacklist to be sure a company you're thinking of hiring isn't listed.

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 12:09:01 AM »

This was my conclusion about my situation as well, hence my question about moving companies rather than how I should move.

In the end, I think I'm going to go with a local company.  One that has their own trucks with their own logo, instead of a shady national-network company.

For everyone's info: there's a website worth going to when you're looking at moving companies. http://www.movingscam.com/   Check their blacklist to be sure a company you're thinking of hiring isn't listed.

Way to read the replies, fella.

Touche

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 01:20:51 AM »
I also recommend movingscam.com - particularly the message boards section, where they list reviews and comments by state and metro area in a sticky post.  They helped me find a reputable mover and taught me a LOT - I had a great experience moving from Boston to DC to attend GW Law.  They even weighed the truck, determined that it was less than they estimated, and refunded $300 back to my credit card.

Make sure you only deal with movers who are willing to come to your house for an estimate, and try to get a binding, NOT TO EXCEED estimate.  This means they can't charge you more than they estimated, but if it weighs less they refund you money (this is what happened to me).

There are hundreds of moving companies so you really have to do a lot of research to choose the best one for you.  I went with a UNITED van lines company located in Canton, MA.  But I cannot vouch for all local units for United, since they are all individually managed.  Local moving companies may have great reviews (I know Gentle Giant in Boston did) but they are often more money because they don't work with a national van line company and do lots of interstate moving to keep costs down.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 06:00:34 PM »
Hahahahahahah! Tomorrow is the last day of the delivery window for me, and since I have a 24 hour notification clause and haven't heard from them, I called to see what's up.

Get this- my stuff is still sitting in my original town! They have no idea when they will be able to get it here! I don't get a discount because "[They] still provide a service."!

Hahahaha! Moving companies, gotta love 'em.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 08:14:02 PM »
Are you SERIOUS? You are so badass for laughing about it instead of shredding their genitals.

Oh but hey! That means I can help you once it all arrives! (After you help me tomorrow)

I'm in! I'll PM you my numbah.

jeffm2009

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 05:28:28 PM »
i know you've probably already moved but i just came across this forum after moving to kansas city and thought that probably a lot of people get here too while searching for moving company recommendations. so i just want to say that i had a good experience with Berger kansas city movers, hopefully that will help if anyone comes by here looking for information.
-Jeff

SwampFox

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 11:12:01 PM »
I don't have advice about moving companies, but if you're worried about your stuff getting to your new home in a timely manner or cost, then I second the UHaul recommendation.  If it's simply about moving the stuff in and out of the truck due to a bad back, it is possible to hire people both in your hometown, as well as in your new city, who can do that for you.  The only part you'd have to do is drive (and from your prior post, I'm not sure if that was something you'd ruled out due to your bad back).

Best of luck!
I did just this a few years ago:  I packed the stuff into boxes myself, hired local movers to pack and unpack at both ends of the trip, and drove the truck myself (not that I have a bad back).  If memory serves, the two sets of movers cost about $750 total.  I would definitely recommend this option, not just for the big difference in cost.  I've heard too many horror stories about dishonest do-it-all movers, ranging from stealing stuff to holding the possessions until you "agree" to a higher rate.