Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any Moving companies to recommend?  (Read 2969 times)

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
Any Moving companies to recommend?
« on: August 01, 2008, 06:20:37 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm trying to set up my move.  Can anyone recommend a good long-distance moving company.  I've dealt with sketchy movers before, and I'm afraid of getting ripped off or having my stuff lost.

Thanks.

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Any Moving companies to recommend?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 06:31:59 PM »
They are all sketchy. I have moved countless times, and there is no good moving company.

I went with Allied on this last one. Seems OK so far and they were the cheapest. I think it is all about expectation management. Have all your stuff boxed up correctly before they get there (even stuff that is fine without a box), and don't expect it to make there before two weeks passes.

insomniac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 06:34:11 PM »
I used America's Moving Services- they did a reasonable job, and their pricing was competitive. From research on the web, they had fewer complaints than most (Better Business Bureau site, etc). They were able to deliver in the three day window I gave them, which a number of companies would not guarantee, and did not take my stuff off the truck (and put in a warehouse), which several were planning to do.
I've used Allied in the past and they did fine (though pricier).
As the previous poster mentioned, if your move is over a long distance, expect it to take forever, particularly if you have a smaller load. (Mine was big, and took up half the truck, while the little one apartment ones rode around in the front until the truck was going their direction) They have up to a month, I think, to deliver.

wcombs65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 07:22:26 PM »
Rent a big U-Haul. 

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 07:38:03 PM »
Rent a big U-Haul. 

I would, but I've got a bad back.  Can't lift lots of heavy stuff.

dsetterl

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 07:54:15 PM »
Sell everything on craigslist then buy new stuff. Moving companies are a rip off.

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 08:11:56 PM »
Sell everything on craigslist then buy new stuff. Moving companies are a rip off.

I'm not a kid with a bunch of worthless stuff.  I'm 26, have worked for a while, and have lots of expensive things, some of which is irreplacable.  For instance, I am not selling or replacing the coffee table my father and I made together, or my many pairs of skis which are worthless used.

To be clear, I'm not looking for advice about how to move.  I'm asking if anyone has had a good experience with any particular company.

dsetterl

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 09:02:13 PM »
 A moving company is going to cost a small fortune. I don't know if you consider 3 grand + a small fortune, since you are not a kid and all, but I do. I am just saying that packing your own stuff and moving it is much better. You can get a uhaul and hire movers to load and unload and it would still be cheaper than hiring a company.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2008, 12:18:01 AM »
I don't have advice about moving companies, but if you're worried about your stuff getting to your new home in a timely manner or cost, then I second the UHaul recommendation.  If it's simply about moving the stuff in and out of the truck due to a bad back, it is possible to hire people both in your hometown, as well as in your new city, who can do that for you.  The only part you'd have to do is drive (and from your prior post, I'm not sure if that was something you'd ruled out due to your bad back).

Best of luck!
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

dsetterl

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 07:40:17 AM »
Is DS joining the cool kids club now!?