Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Nashville- Vandy a surefire bet?  (Read 1840 times)

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
Nashville- Vandy a surefire bet?
« on: August 01, 2008, 01:17:25 PM »
Hypo here- let's suppose I am 100% positive that I want to practice in Nashville... not necessarily the case, but let's say it is.  With my numbers (which are listed below) would I be better off going to Vandy and getting (likely) really good scholarships or would I be better off going to a slightly more prestigious school like Duke and taking less scholarships?

I hope to practice corporate law (either tax or mergers/acquisitions)... what would be my best bet in this situation?  Keep in mind, I want to stay in Nashville.
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
Re: Nashville- Vandy a surefire bet?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 02:06:57 PM »
If you want to be in Nashville, go to Vandy.  End of story.

But you will have time to consider options once you actually apply and get accepted/scholarships :)  Don't jump the gun yet
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 02:22:16 PM »
Vandy, but I wouldn't count on getting scholarships out of Duke with your numbers unless you are a URM. And while Vandy might throw in something to sweeten the pot, I certainly wouldn't count on it. As the poster above said, apply, see if you get in, see what you are offered and then weigh your options. Either school will get you a job in Nashville without much trouble, so at least IMO loans should be a bigger concern. If there's any chance you will change your mind about working in Nashville, go to Duke.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 02:37:51 PM »
I am basing my assumptions on LSN numbers... people with my stats and non-URMS are getting between 75k-90k at Vandy and 35k-50k from Duke.  Assumptions are all I have to go by at this point, although I will probably be eligible for quite a bit of need-based merit.

LSN

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 04:04:11 PM »
I am basing my assumptions on LSN numbers... people with my stats and non-URMS are getting between 75k-90k at Vandy and 35k-50k from Duke.  Assumptions are all I have to go by at this point, although I will probably be eligible for quite a bit of need-based merit.

Well then either school would be a good deal. Scratch comment above re: scholarships, but the rest of my advice holds. If you think you might change your mind about Nashville (what makes you want to be there as opposed to any other Southern city anyway?), you should strongly consider Duke.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 01:01:57 PM »
I'm also surprised that Duke would offer (much) scholarship money for your numbers, which are good, but not stellar (at least in the LSAT area).  But I guess you're above the median in both categories.

I guess what I would do, if I were you, is apply to all of the T14 (including HYS) as well as Vandy.  See where you get in -- with your GPA, even HYS are possiblities.  See if you get any money from the T14, and then use your acceptances/$$ offers to leverage as much money as possible from Vandy.

If you get into HYS, you should probably be able to demand a full ride from Vandy.  Other top schools should give you similar leverage (maybe not full ride, but substantial $$$).  Having those acceptances would make you a more attractive catch, and you can always negotiate with Vandy by highlighting those competing offers and asking for more money.

As for the final decision, when it comes down to it, if you're committed to working in Nashville, Vandy with $$$ probably makes more sense than a T14 without much cash.  Vandy probably has T14-like status in the Nashville area, so I'm not sure how much more a school like Duke would give you.  And you might do better in your class at Vandy.  On the other hand, Vandy grads probably flood the Nashville market, which is something to consider, and a Duke (etc) grad might be more rare and sought-after. 

If it were me, I'd probably take the Vandy offer, presuming it was a full scholarship, or close to it.  I've heard that things get hairy at places like Vandy if you're not in the top 30%, but that's probably only in terms of OCI Biglaw placement.  I imagine that as long as your grades are decent, you'll be able to find a Nashville job without too much trouble, even if you potentially needed to do your own legwork.  And with minimal debt, it wouldn't be something you'd need to stress about much.

If, on the other hand, you thought you might want to work more nationally, then a T14 would probably be a better bet.  Vandy can get you national biglaw if you're near top of the class, but that's tough to achieve at a place like Vandy, where everyone's pretty bright and studious.  The T14 will give you national options even if you're average.

Either way, you should apply to all (or at least most) of the T14, for the reasons noted.  That way, you can also keep your options open until the last minute.

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Transparency
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 07:18:11 PM »
Hypo here- let's suppose I am 100% positive that I want to practice in Nashville... not necessarily the case, but let's say it is.  With my numbers (which are listed below) would I be better off going to Vandy and getting (likely) really good scholarships or would I be better off going to a slightly more prestigious school like Duke and taking less scholarships?

I hope to practice corporate law (either tax or mergers/acquisitions)... what would be my best bet in this situation?  Keep in mind, I want to stay in Nashville.

My comments (I'll be a 2L at VULS):

1.  I'm currently dogsitting in Manhattan and researching firms for OCI, and I decided to perv through the recruitment handbook and put the info into a spreadsheet to see what sort of numbers we're looking at.  Of the 25 2Ls summering with firms in Nashville this summer, 14 are at firms in the NLJ 250.  Looking at their bios, most of the 2Ls in various cities/SAs/internships (27, out of 40 total) are either Vandy undergrads (and are probably looking to stay in Nashville) or are from TN, AR, KY or GA, so I'm assuming most of them are in town by choice, and not as a fallback because they didn't land an SA somewhere else.  Some of Nashville's biggest firms-- Baker Donelson, Bass, Berry & Sims, Waller Lansden, and Miller Martin-- all have between 2 and 4 Vandy SAs this summer.  I don't know how you'd compare this info to other schools, but I'm tempted to say this would put us solidly in the lead for getting students into the best firms in town.  Look at those firms in particular and see if you can compare number of associates from different schools to confirm this.

2. Apply early to get the best chance of getting $$$.  The school has seen a marked increase in apps from cross the country in each of the last few years, and my guess is that, in their attempts to create the most geographically diverse group, they might sit on your app to compare it with apps from other regions.  That said, there's close to 20 Double-Dores in my class, so you'll stand a good chance in getting accepted.  But number/$$$ comparisons this year aren't a great indicator of where they'll be targeting $$$ next year.... when I look at my own numbers from two cycles ago, I probably would've been WLed this cycle instead of outright admitted (no $).  And if I had applied a year earlier I would've stood a good chance at getting $.  Apply early, make sure to mention your desire to practice in Nashville, and they could toss money your way to keep you in town. G'luck.
Vanderbilt University Law School Class of '10

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 09:36:49 PM »

My comments (I'll be a 2L at VULS):

1.  I'm currently dogsitting in Manhattan and researching firms for OCI, and I decided to perv through the recruitment handbook and put the info into a spreadsheet to see what sort of numbers we're looking at.  Of the 25 2Ls summering with firms in Nashville this summer, 14 are at firms in the NLJ 250.  Looking at their bios, most of the 2Ls in various cities/SAs/internships (27, out of 40 total) are either Vandy undergrads (and are probably looking to stay in Nashville) or are from TN, AR, KY or GA, so I'm assuming most of them are in town by choice, and not as a fallback because they didn't land an SA somewhere else.  Some of Nashville's biggest firms-- Baker Donelson, Bass, Berry & Sims, Waller Lansden, and Miller Martin-- all have between 2 and 4 Vandy SAs this summer.  I don't know how you'd compare this info to other schools, but I'm tempted to say this would put us solidly in the lead for getting students into the best firms in town.  Look at those firms in particular and see if you can compare number of associates from different schools to confirm this.

2. Apply early to get the best chance of getting $$$.  The school has seen a marked increase in apps from cross the country in each of the last few years, and my guess is that, in their attempts to create the most geographically diverse group, they might sit on your app to compare it with apps from other regions.  That said, there's close to 20 Double-Dores in my class, so you'll stand a good chance in getting accepted.  But number/$$$ comparisons this year aren't a great indicator of where they'll be targeting $$$ next year.... when I look at my own numbers from two cycles ago, I probably would've been WLed this cycle instead of outright admitted (no $).  And if I had applied a year earlier I would've stood a good chance at getting $.  Apply early, make sure to mention your desire to practice in Nashville, and they could toss money your way to keep you in town. G'luck.

1.  What's a Double-Dore?  Someone who went to Vandy as an undergrad?

2.  One other thought -- you might get yield-protected at Vandy, so you might want to make clear by letter or visit that you are in fact very interested in studying at Vandy, partly because you're focused on working in Nashville.  That way, they won't ding you simply to avoid wasting an acceptance.  Later, when you get your T14 acceptances, you can go back and say "I'm still very interested, but I just got this acceptance from [whoever], and I'm wondering if you can offer scholarship money to sweeten the offer."

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 03:34:25 PM »
Should I consider writing an addendum explaining my intentions of staying in the Nashville area, or is that something admissions would even take into consideration?

LSN

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 04:33:59 PM »
Should I consider writing an addendum explaining my intentions of staying in the Nashville area, or is that something admissions would even take into consideration?

As noted, given your numbers, I think you should make clear why you want to go to Vandy if you don't want to get yield-protected.  I'm not sure what way would be most effective, but if you're already in Tennessee, a visit might be best, and some kind of letter or addendum might also be a good idea.