Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Academic Renewal?  (Read 1634 times)

AshleyNicole

• View Profile
Academic Renewal?
« on: July 31, 2008, 03:41:01 PM »
Does anyone know anything about this?  I'm looking into it at the community college I attended six years ago.  I have a 3.8 gpa at the University I go to now, but when I recalculated my LSAC gpa, it went down to a 3.3 (which I have an extremely justifiable reason for my grades at c.c.) I'm scoring between 165-170 on PT's but after recalculating I figure I might as well not even go to law school.  Anyways any info. on this academic renewal process would be great.  Can you "renew" more than one semester?

Also, if I can't get any of the bad grades off my transcript, do you think it's worth waiting a year to apply so this coming year's grades would be accounted for?  If I did this, my lsac gpa would go up to a 3.55 and I would graduate with probably a 3.85.

What do you think?  Honest answers appreciated.

AshleyNicole

• View Profile
Re: Academic Renewal?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 01:09:16 PM »
Yeah, I talked to the LSAC and they pretty much said, "we don't care; we're counting ALL grades, even if you didn't get credit for them."  Totally bums me out and I don't know what to do.  It's tough going from a 3.8 to a 3.3.  It's not that I don't want to go to law school that bad, I do.  I just know I can get a really good score on the LSAT but it's not going to pay off because of my GPA. 

If I wait and take a year off, I can send my transcripts in after this year's grades are posted on my transcript.  My LSDAS gpa will be around a 3.55.  Would you do that and take a year off or would you just apply this fall and pray?

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: Academic Renewal?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 03:34:37 PM »
Well, if you're confident about your LSAT performance (I'm assuming perhaps your practice tests are high), then you'll have an excellent chance to go to a really good school.

I don't know what your plans are, like what area you want to live/work in, or what your soft factors are.

Do a lot of research on this board and lawschoolnumbers.com. I think you'll be surprised at where people go with certain numbers, every situation is different. A high LSAT will offset your GPA (which is not that bad) at a lot of schools.

As for taking a year off, thats up to you. If you LSAT is 170+, I don't think the difference in GPA will make too much of a difference. It's all a journey..

Best of luck to you (and to me too  ;))
Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN