Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U Texas to NYU or not???  (Read 3273 times)

leostrauss

• Sr. Citizen
  • The silence of a wise man is always meaningful.
    • View Profile
U Texas to NYU or not???
« on: July 30, 2008, 10:38:13 PM »
Currently at UT Law, probably going to make LR. I was accepted at NYU for transfer. Should I go? I don't have hard and fast goals for where I want to work, but I have lots of TX connections, and will probably end up here. Worked at two huge TX firms this summer. Any advice welcome.
…no bloody or unbloody change of society can eradicate the evil in man: as long as there will be men, there will be malice, envy and hatred, and hence there cannot be a society which does not have to employ coercive restraint.

– Leo Strauss, The City and Man, page 5

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: U Texas to NYU or not???
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 11:05:48 PM »
Well why did you apply to transfer to NYU (or elsewhere)? Do those reasons for applying still hold true? Or was it just to see if you could get in?

leostrauss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 03:36:46 PM »
I applied because I have a gf at NYU, I wanted to see if I could get in, and I've always wanted to go to a prestigious school. Now that I'm looking at it, though, it's 135k for two years. Crazy. It's awfully hard to get your ish together this fast, too.
…no bloody or unbloody change of society can eradicate the evil in man: as long as there will be men, there will be malice, envy and hatred, and hence there cannot be a society which does not have to employ coercive restraint.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 03:51:31 PM »
I applied because I have a gf at NYU, I wanted to see if I could get in, and I've always wanted to go to a prestigious school. Now that I'm looking at it, though, it's 135k for two years. Crazy. It's awfully hard to get your ish together this fast, too.

135k for two years? Hell I can get you a really hot girlfriend for two years that will cost you less than half that. :) Your big dog at the best school in the state you want to work in. NYU is a great name, but UT has Texas locked up. I doubt there is much of anything you can’t get in Texas with your grades, rank and LR that you could get from NYU. Plus there is always the risk you don't do that great at NYU, your GPA also resets, so medocire 2L year could land you in the middle of the class.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

leostrauss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 04:02:59 PM »
Thanks Matthies, well said. Though, I don't think you could this girl - I'm just sayin. haha, I kid. It was sound advice.

intel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 06:51:03 PM »
if prestige is the issue i'd probably stay. UT doesn't have a ton of lay-prestige (neither does NYU, actually) but it is pretty prestigious within the profession. at least that's the feel i get.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 07:32:26 PM »
If you want to end up in TX for the long and short term, I'd probably stay.

If you REALLY want a national name behind your degree or better access to other job markets, go to NYU.

Matthies is correct that your GPA will reset when you transfer, however you will use your 1L grades from UT to apply for and secure summer associate positions in the fall through OCI when you arrive at NYU. And people in the middle of the class at NYU should do just fine, btw.

imwithhappy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 03:23:52 PM »
read this article: http://resipsablog.com/2008/06/01/average-starting-salaries-for-texas-law-school-graduates/   and notice the COL article from CNN embedded on that page.  NY is freaking expensive.  $101,000 average salary from UT law, and you are already on LR, worked at two big firms, and I am assuming that you are paying in-state tuition or have a scholarship and you want to transfer to NYU and HOPE that it all works out after sinking another $135,000 into school?  Good golly that girlfriend of yours better be the one....
University of Oklahoma '11

leostrauss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 01:03:14 PM »
thanks so much for all of the advice. I guess NYU just seems like such a big name to me. It seems very prestigious. I did make LR (found out yesterday). I have tons of connections in TX, and I do want to work here (I got a permanent offer from a small Houston office of a V25 NY firm yesterday, too). I guess staying at TX is the best thing . . . Thanks again for all of your help. If anyone has any other advice - particularly good reasons for going to NY, please let me know! Thanks -- LS

Visual Dictionary

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 01:43:29 PM »
You did extremely well.  Any tips?

I would go for NYU because you never know when you might move, but, then again, UT + Law Review may be very portable as is.
Yep.