Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How to go over wrong answers  (Read 592 times)

WashLaw

• View Profile
How to go over wrong answers
« on: July 30, 2008, 08:56:06 PM »
So what do you guys feel is the best way to go over incorrect answers on PTs? What I've been doing so far is making notes in my notebook about why the credited answer is correct. Are there any tricks you know to better remember the mistakes and find ways to improve them? Also, if you find you are struggling with certain question types, how do you improve, ooking at the appropriate bible? (my biggest problem is LR weaken questions)

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How to go over wrong answers
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 10:03:07 PM »
This is what I do and it's the best solution I can find knowing my study style. I have a spreadsheet in Excel with all the PT numbers and then for each PT i enter the date of the test, the date I took the PT, how many I got wrong for each LR section, LG, and RC. Then my raw score and my scaled scored. Each number of PT is hyperlinked to an individual file in One Note. In the One Note file I list my mood when doing the PT (ie I was very tired or I was very awake and felt good about the PT) and any patterns or observations I had about myself while doing the PT (ie I tried to diagram several LR questions that didn't require it). I then break things down into LR, RC and LG and note the question type I got wrong and then I go over each wrong answer and write out why the correct answer is correct. I just write stream of conscious to get it out there as I'm processing it.

milk

• Neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 10:20:32 PM »
This is what I do and it's the best solution I can find knowing my study style. I have a spreadsheet in Excel with all the PT numbers and then for each PT i enter the date of the test, the date I took the PT, how many I got wrong for each LR section, LG, and RC. Then my raw score and my scaled scored. Each number of PT is hyperlinked to an individual file in One Note. In the One Note file I list my mood when doing the PT (ie I was very tired or I was very awake and felt good about the PT) and any patterns or observations I had about myself while doing the PT (ie I tried to diagram several LR questions that didn't require it). I then break things down into LR, RC and LG and note the question type I got wrong and then I go over each wrong answer and write out why the correct answer is correct. I just write stream of conscious to get it out there as I'm processing it.

Wow.  Sounds like a great system.  How have your practices been?
And one day we will die
And our ashes will fly from the aeroplane over the sea
But for now we are young
Let us lay in the sun
And count every beautiful thing we can see

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 10:26:36 PM »
haha well I've been slow with practicing due to a heavy summer course load and personal issues (though this really is no excuse. You can't improve if you don't practice). Post LSAT my first untimed PT was 170 and my first timed PT last saturday was 167. So a bit mixed but I feel that's a decent starting point to improve upon. I found in hindsight it was really important for me to note when I took PT's (I didn't do them all chronologically) to see when I improved on certain sections.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 01:18:11 AM »
So what do you guys feel is the best way to go over incorrect answers on PTs? What I've been doing so far is making notes in my notebook about why the credited answer is correct. Are there any tricks you know to better remember the mistakes and find ways to improve them? Also, if you find you are struggling with certain question types, how do you improve, ooking at the appropriate bible? (my biggest problem is LR weaken questions)

Upon reviewing missed/guessed questions, it's important to make sure you understand why the right answer is right.  However, it's equally important to ensure you understand why the wrong answer is wrong (so you don't repeat the mistakes). You should be making notes about both in your notebook.

With LR weakeners, remember that most LR Q's involve a flaw / hole /disconnect between the premises and the conclusion -- an assumption, or unstated premise.  Identifying this flaw or hole will be the key first step in solving most LR Q's, including weakeners.  Weakener Q's will somehow exploit, highlight or expand that hole.