Law School Discussion

Burnout prevention

Burnout prevention
« on: August 13, 2008, 08:20:10 AM »
I've studied the bibles religously (no pun intended), done all questions by individial question type for Preptests 1-26, reviewed my answers, etc.

I'm about to start practicing full LSATs now (preptest #27 to most recent).  My question is, how many full preptests do you recommend writing each week without burning out or decreasing your score?  Also, what frequency do you recommend writing preptests?

meggo

• View Profile
Re: Burnout prevention
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 10:46:21 AM »
That's just something you need to figure out yourself. You have the time so try both ways. Do one each day several days in a row, and try doing on several days apart. Do you feel the information is more fresh when you have a break or do them back to back? It also depends on your workload in Sept. how many you can do....right now because of my workload I'm only getting in one a week, and I'd like to do more, but I actually find my score to be consistent and I feel fresh. So....just test yourself and make note of your mood, tired/alert, did you feel good post the test or not? Was that reflective of your score?

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 10:44:38 PM »
Prepping for the LSAT is not about taking as many of them as possible; you need to learn from your mistakes to get better. The time you put into studying should be more about quality than quantity. Your first goal should be to master one single test to the point where you can score a 180 on it. As you can see, I think retaking and restudying PTs is very important on the road to LSAT success. On the games section you should retake it until you see just about every inference. On the LR sections, you should understand all of the tricky stimuli and why the CR's were correct and why the red herring answer choices were wrong. The same follows for RC. PLEASE do not give up on any PTs until you fully understand every minor little detail about them.

So, I doubt you should be taking more than three tests a week.

Can you tell me where you found PT's 1-6? The LSAC does not sell them on their website. :'( I am curious because I always wanted to see them in their entirety. 8) 

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 06:55:01 AM »
I've studied the bibles religously (no pun intended), done all questions by individial question type for Preptests 1-26, reviewed my answers, etc.

I'm about to start practicing full LSATs now (preptest #27 to most recent).  My question is, how many full preptests do you recommend writing each week without burning out or decreasing your score?  Also, what frequency do you recommend writing preptests?

I bet you're canadian or british.

I'd like to know how you came to that conclusion. It can't be because of spelling.

eh eh eh

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 07:02:03 AM »

I bet you're canadian or british.

I'd like to know how you came to that conclusion. It can't be because of spelling.

eh eh eh

Hint:  How many Americans would actually try to "write" an LSAT?  It's hard enough to take.

Ah I see. I didn't pick up on that, but of course, I'm not American.

I suppose Americans would prefer to "take" an LSAT, especially since it requires one less letter to spell. :P

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 11:08:25 AM »
Thanks a lot for the advice and tips, they seem very helpful.

btw, I'm Canadian :P  It's crazy how you were able to predict that!

p.s. My post was a little misleading, I don't have preptests 1-6.. I only have the ones available from LSAC.. I just put 1-26 to mean that I've done all available ones up to 26.

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 11:30:36 AM »
Prepping for the LSAT is not about taking as many of them as possible; you need to learn from your mistakes to get better. The time you put into studying should be more about quality than quantity. Your first goal should be to master one single test to the point where you can score a 180 on it. As you can see, I think retaking and restudying PTs is very important on the road to LSAT success. On the games section you should retake it until you see just about every inference. On the LR sections, you should understand all of the tricky stimuli and why the CR's were correct and why the red herring answer choices were wrong. The same follows for RC. PLEASE do not give up on any PTs until you fully understand every minor little detail about them.

So, I doubt you should be taking more than three tests a week.

Can you tell me where you found PT's 1-6? The LSAC does not sell them on their website. :'( I am curious
because I always wanted to see them in their entirety. 8) 

I know Kaplan had PT 1-6 in an earlier version of Kaplan's study guides.  2005 or 2006 I think.