Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 162 LSAT/3.96 GPA - Northwestern anyone?  (Read 3709 times)

wonderwall

• View Profile
162 LSAT/3.96 GPA - Northwestern anyone?
« on: July 29, 2008, 10:55:51 PM »
Hi,

I took the June LSAT with minimal prep and scored a 162. I am debating retaking in October, but I have a lot of other work responsibilities. I was wondering if any of you are familiar with Northwestern and my chances of admission? I've used the LSAC calculator, but this only takes into account LSAT and GPA (summa cum laude 3.96 with several honors). I have finished a year post-graduation working at the University of Chicago in a research lab. Great work experience, working on an independent research project as well.. I know NU values work experience. Any thoughts on how much these aspects might off set my low LSAT score? I figure maybe I should just bite the bullet and retake, but I have many other things going on at the moment with extra projects and a very busy full-time job making it difficult to devote a large chunk of time to studying.

I was checking out lawschoolnumbers.com and that makes my chances look pretty dismal. Although, I figure there must be a bias for the type of people who log on and submit their information... Also, I'm not a minority. White Female.

Any thoughts or information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

eruffin

• View Profile
Re: 162 LSAT/3.96 GPA - Northwestern anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 12:07:55 AM »
My sense is that your guess is correct.  For Northwestern, a retake would seem necessary irrespective of the circumstances.
3.65, 175

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 12:31:31 AM »
I agree. I would re-take. I mean, you could convince yourself otherwise but I think you'd be disappointed come the fall. I do think it's possible to overcome lower numbers with PS, LOR's etc, but I'm not sure just having one year of good work experience would be enough. Since you took the LSAT with minimal prep and scored a 162 it seems like if you put in a decent effort for October you would be likely to improve. Even if you went up to a 165 or a 166 I think your chances at NU would increase quite a bit.

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 12:43:16 AM »
The LSAC calculator only takes UGPA and LSAT into account because those two numbers account for 90% of the decision making process. Welcome to reality! My advice: if you want to go to Northwestern, you need to retake.

wonderwall

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 04:14:42 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice! There is a clear consensus confirming that I would need to retake. I don't see how this was quite necessary though:

You're gonna need a much higher score than 162 for Northwestern even with your super GPA and wonderfully attractive white woman soft stuff and special curves.http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/index.php/1/desc/LSATLow/2009

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 04:20:17 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice! There is a clear consensus confirming that I would need to retake. I don't see how this was quite necessary though:

You're gonna need a much higher score than 162 for Northwestern even with your super GPA and wonderfully attractive white woman soft stuff and special curves.http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/index.php/1/desc/LSATLow/2009

Internet anonymity strikes again! 

WashLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 04:38:57 PM »
just a quick hijack here: I've been wondering how much exactly Northwestern values WE? Is it to the point that only a select few people can get in strait out of UG? If so, what numbers do you need?

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 05:17:54 PM »
just a quick hijack here: I've been wondering how much exactly Northwestern values WE? Is it to the point that only a select few people can get in strait out of UG? If so, what numbers do you need?

They value WE a lot. From their website:

"95 percent of our entering students have had one or more years of full-time work experience; more than 80 percent have had at least two years, and approximately 60 percent worked 3 or more years before entering Northwestern Law."

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/

Also from their site:

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/profile/

They have a stated goal of making their incoming classes look more like MBA classes in terms of work experience, interviews, etc.:

"Long-term, our goal is that all entering students will have at least two years of post-college work experience" (from same page as above.)

That said, people do get in without substantial work experience, but NW also seems to sometimes ask applicants to defer a year in exchange for admission and/or scholarships.

wonderwall

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 12:27:59 AM »

It was a compliment.  Ever heard of soft factors and innuendo and flirting? You a woman right and have experience doing special research post grad to put in ur app (special curves)?  Need I spell it all out?

yeah yeah yeah. No need to spell anything out. I got it all along. I believe my point still stands and I'll leave it at that.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 01:29:44 PM »
You're gonna need a much higher score than 162 for Northwestern even with your super GPA

This.

http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/view.php/65