Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Reading Comprehension Advice Plz!  (Read 1630 times)

DefenderOfTheLaw

• View Profile
Reading Comprehension Advice Plz!
« on: July 29, 2008, 07:54:06 PM »
Let me first mention that I've searched all threads pertaining to RC, and have thoroughly read and follow their advice.

Now, the problem I have is with comprehension.  I'll read an entire passage, but when I get to the end, I'll forget what I read and can't successfully answer the questions.  I've tried slowing down, making notes, etc, etc.  Anyways, I tend to get 3 out of the 7 questions right for each passage.

However, I find that if a read a passage 2-3 times in row (before going to the questions), I tend to do very well (6 out of 7 questions correct).  Now, obviously there's no time to read a passage 2-3 times on the real LSAT, so does anyone have any tips on how I can improve my comprehension?

I'm very much regretting it now, but as a kid, I barely ever read anything... I was just interested in other things. Mind you, I still do well in school (GPA 3.82), but I'm in a purely technical field (engineering), where we seldom read large text.  I'm excellent with LR & LG (just a couple wrong per section), but am dreadful at RC :(

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Reading Comprehension Advice Plz!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 08:44:50 PM »
what kind of notes do you write at the side? I found numbering the paragraphs and writing one to two words for each paragraph (or main idea in a paragraph) was the most helpful outlining what it was about or what was going on. I would also say don't psyche yourself out by saying 'i never remember by the time i get to the end. i'm not good with reading this type of text and never have been'.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 08:11:10 AM »
you not supposed memorize passage.

just some guy

• Sr. Citizen
  • WARNING: May Contain Troll or Flame-like Substance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 08:16:02 AM »

Earthquake in CA, and Julie giving accurate, substantive LSAT advice. The end times are here........
I have courted the fire for a very long time, and many sparks have flown in the past, but [this post] speaks, finally, the language of the flame itself.
with apologies to Keith Jarret

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 09:06:58 AM »

Earthquake in CA, and Julie giving accurate, substantive LSAT advice. The end times are here........

not until karl rove go jail.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 09:08:13 AM »

She still feeling afterglow from me 'comforting' her last night.

that your comforter.  time visit dry cleaner.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 09:33:12 AM »
that only your gin-tinged semen.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 10:07:56 AM »
you confusing julie with your sister.

HYSHopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchooli.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 02:03:15 PM »
Let me first mention that I've searched all threads pertaining to RC, and have thoroughly read and follow their advice.

Now, the problem I have is with comprehension.  I'll read an entire passage, but when I get to the end, I'll forget what I read and can't successfully answer the questions.  I've tried slowing down, making notes, etc, etc.  Anyways, I tend to get 3 out of the 7 questions right for each passage.

However, I find that if a read a passage 2-3 times in row (before going to the questions), I tend to do very well (6 out of 7 questions correct).  Now, obviously there's no time to read a passage 2-3 times on the real LSAT, so does anyone have any tips on how I can improve my comprehension?

I'm very much regretting it now, but as a kid, I barely ever read anything... I was just interested in other things. Mind you, I still do well in school (GPA 3.82), but I'm in a purely technical field (engineering), where we seldom read large text.  I'm excellent with LR & LG (just a couple wrong per section), but am dreadful at RC :(

You don't need to memorize the passage. Try and focus on paying attention to the STRUCTURE of the passage. You don't need to remember the details of the passage, but it is important to remember WHERE those details are located. The passage is right there in front of you when you are answering the questions... you CAN and SHOULD refer back to it on any detail questions.

Experiment with underlining key words and phrases: "First, Second, Third"; "Furthermore"; "On the other hand"; "for example"; "namely"; "for one thing"; "In addition"; "Nevertheless"; "For these reasons"; "proponents believe"; "critics believe"; "But"; "However"; "According to"; "In contrast"; "...claims"; ...goes so far as to claim"; "others argue"; etc. This is far from a comprehensive list. As you work through more RC passages, you begin to develop a sense for where the testmakers are likely to draw questions from. The goal is to anticipate where questions are likely to be drawn from, and remember where that important information is located so that if you see it later then you will know exactly where to refer to.

Be aware of shifts in tone, shifts from support of an idea to rejection of an idea, etc. While you are reading each paragraph, think "why is the author including this information? Does she agree/disagree with the information?"

It probably would take 3 or 4 readings to fully understand and memorize every detail of the passage, but it should be fairly easy to memorize and/or note WHERE the details are located within the passage in only 1 reading. Then, as you go through the questions, you will be able to quickly refer to the passage.

In sum, don't focus on memorization, don't focus on details -- DO focus on Structure, DO focus on Main Idea, DO focus on Author's tone, DO focus on shifts in opinion/tone.

Kasserole

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 02:13:08 PM »
The above is really good advice.  If this does not work, however, you might want to give law school a second consideration.  Law school is almost all reading and writing.  That is why the LSAT tests your RC abilities. 

Good luck though!