Law School Discussion

T3 or low T2?

T3 or low T2?
« on: July 29, 2008, 09:02:50 AM »
Does it make sense to transfer from a T3 (top 25% + law review) to a low T2 (#88)? I know making a big jump to high T2 (50s) or even T14 makes sense, but does it really matter at this point? Any thoughts?

Re: T3 or low T2?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 09:11:41 AM »
no... it makes no sense... unless you go to school in a place where you dont want to work in and the T2 school is where you want to work/live in

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 12:41:25 PM »
Im in a similar situaiton to the OP.
I'm 35% at a ~T3 in NYC and just was accepted to a school ranked 60-70 in the same market.  TEOTRET, Im probably going to make the move just wanted to hear it was the right move or in the alternative that Im not considering something, and do you know where youre going and have you told anyone at your old school you are planning on transferring?....cheers, LSD

Personally I would tell the OP that it 'depends'.  Law review and top 25% likely means better job prospects if you stay in the short term.  How do you feel about having a T3 school on your resume for the rest of your life vs. the new school.  Personally, If I were in your situation it would be difficult to trade in the possibility of short term prospects for career advancement, up to you,. I would make the move, and I plan on making my own (above).  GL

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:52:11 PM »
almost legal - sorry I was actually referring to St John's...

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 09:36:57 AM »
almost legal - sorry I was actually referring to St John's...

Don't be sorry!  Where are you currently in school? 

I would focus on the job recruitment differences -- see what percentages of graduates have jobs upon graduation, and I would also look into the alumni network.  St. John's is in a big market, but there are a ton of better ranked law schools there, so ranking alone probably isn't enough of a reason.

Also, what are you looking for in the next two years of law school?  Are you happy at your current law school?

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 01:03:07 PM »
I'm at Pace right now, but I am moving into the city (closer to Queens). I am definitely happy at my current school but I just think I'm gonna hate the commute in and out of the city to westchester. I don't know how much better the opportunities would be at STJ or how strong the alumni network is in the city, but I'd imagine it's stronger than Pace, considering Pace has (or appears) its strongest ties to White Plains and Westchester County.

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 01:44:03 PM »
I'm at Pace right now, but I am moving into the city (closer to Queens). I am definitely happy at my current school but I just think I'm gonna hate the commute in and out of the city to westchester. I don't know how much better the opportunities would be at STJ or how strong the alumni network is in the city, but I'd imagine it's stronger than Pace, considering Pace has (or appears) its strongest ties to White Plains and Westchester County.

It sounds like you have very good reasons for transferring (even apart from the ranking).  If you're in and you want to do it, go for it.  Lots of luck!

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 07:35:26 PM »
I say it's a toss up. The two schools are pretty similar. St. John's has a little better employment and bar passage numbers, but you're already pretty successful at Pace. Flip a coin and good luck.

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 08:10:11 PM »
It comes down to this: Do you think you can get a job in the city straight out of Pace? I think you can with those metrics and law review ... perhaps STJ is more visible to city employers, but not if you make *yourself* visible to those firms. One thing to consider: the St. John's campus is just as crappy and commuterish as Pace's, though there is a gym up there somewhere. Besides, on a personal note, I've heard that the number of transferees in our class at Pace is pretty high (four that I know of personally, and I've heard the number is in the double digits), so what the heck -- leave and I'll have a better shot to getting back into the top third or better pronto. :-) Congrats, though, on having the opportunity to bail out.

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 08:30:21 PM »
Also, where in the city are you moving to? Another factor: In many cases, the commute from the Pace campus to Grand Central is shorter than the commute from just about anywhere in the city out to the STJ Jamaica campus, which takes a subway ride all the way out there on the E or F (can't remember which, but both are annoying) and then a bus ride and walk. Even if you're in Astoria, you still need to either take the N to Queensboro Plaza and then walk over to the nearby Queens Plaza station to catch the proper line, which from there is still a hike. Having lived in NYC for most of eight years before moving to WP, I can say commuting down there is as much of a pain in the ass and, on weekends, can be even worse.