Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Random Questions/General Discussion Thread  (Read 11254 times)

ShakedownStreet

• View Profile
Re: Random Questions/General Discussion Thread
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 12:43:24 PM »
Can you current student recommend which commercial study aids to purchase?  It seems like everyone has a different opinion, but I'd love yours!

I think I would wait until class starts to buy anything like this.  I think someone said earlier that professors may recommend a particular study aid.  There are some classes like Property with Marsh where a commercial study guide is worthless (in my opinion)

If a professor does not specifically recommened a study aid, you could always ask after class if there is anything they would recommend.

somanyquestions

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 03:39:06 PM »
FYI. . .Email from SBA

"Beginning Thursday (August 7th) the bookstore will be open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3-6 p.m., and Wednesdays from 10 a.m.-1 p.m.

These hours are not permanent, and will most likely be adjusted once the school year begins. As soon as the Fall bookstore schedule is officially set an e-mail will be sent out. For your convenience, the hours will also be posted on the window of the store."

Hope you're enjoying your last week off before orientation/classes.

This summer went by so fast!
3L @ University of Denver

ShakedownStreet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 11:24:37 AM »
FYI:  some professors have advanced assignments up on the website

http://law.du.edu/index.php/registrar/course-information/advance-assignments

For all new 1Ls: don't be the person that gets called on the first day, and has to say "I didn't know there was a reading assignment"

somanyquestions

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 12:30:29 PM »
Haha

But also understand that the 1st day maybe the ONLY time you can do that and get away with it.

If you have Duvivier for civ pro, read the book/novel but don't worry too much about it, it will NOT be tested, EVER.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 02:25:59 PM »
Anybody doing fall OCI? I'm going to try it just to say I have done it. Any suggestions? Aslo applying for clerkships is a PIA.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

ShakedownStreet

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 11:30:50 PM »
i am doing 2L OCI.  Everyone I have talked to says that grades/connections get you the interview and personality gets you the job. 

we shall see how it turns out!

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 11:14:00 AM »
i am doing 2L OCI.  Everyone I have talked to says that grades/connections get you the interview and personality gets you the job.  

I'm screwed then :)
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

kill the headlights

• Sr. Citizen
  • ...and put it in neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 03:51:22 PM »
FYI:  some professors have advanced assignments up on the website

http://law.du.edu/index.php/registrar/course-information/advance-assignments

For all new 1Ls: don't be the person that gets called on the first day, and has to say "I didn't know there was a reading assignment"

Why can't they just email their students with the assignments. I hadn't even heard about those assignments . . . ridiculous.
Paid the seat deposit at DU

somanyquestions

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 12:15:09 AM »
because 1.) this is law school and they make everything complicated, 2.) you're an adult & 3.) professors are lazy. . .although, some professors will email syllabus/assignments when they have their class list.  when's orientation? because usually someone will tell you during orientation.  besides, advanced assignment isn't that intense anyway.

kill the headlights

• Sr. Citizen
  • ...and put it in neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 04:29:17 PM »
because 1.) this is law school and they make everything complicated, 2.) you're an adult & 3.) professors are lazy. . .although, some professors will email syllabus/assignments when they have their class list.  when's orientation? because usually someone will tell you during orientation.  besides, advanced assignment isn't that intense anyway.

Well, I don't think 2 is a very strong argument. Not because I disagree with my being an adult, but because my being an adult does not necessitate making things difficult when they could be really easy. But you are probably just joking around.

Orientation starts tomorrow. I just walked into the front lobby (there is probably a different name for that place) and there was a podium and many chairs being set up. It is pretty busy around here.

Paid the seat deposit at DU