Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Random Questions/General Discussion Thread  (Read 11420 times)

kill the headlights

• Sr. Citizen
  • ...and put it in neutral
    • View Profile
Random Questions/General Discussion Thread
« on: July 29, 2008, 09:45:12 AM »
This page will make it so we don't have to use the thread on the admissions page. Bookmark this one.

How do we know which books that we have to purchase have a new edition this year without going to the bookstore? I am looking to get them online and save a ton of money, but it looks like all the cheap books I need to buy are last years edition. Do I just wait until I can go to the bookstore next week and check them out?
Paid the seat deposit at DU

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Random Questions/General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 10:33:12 AM »
This page will make it so we don't have to use the thread on the admissions page. Bookmark this one.

How do we know which books that we have to purchase have a new edition this year without going to the bookstore? I am looking to get them online and save a ton of money, but it looks like all the cheap books I need to buy are last years edition. Do I just wait until I can go to the bookstore next week and check them out?

I would wait, it seems like some case books are updated every year, while others not updated for years, only way to tell is to go see what the book store has. I THINK there is a way to check online by course number, poke around on the bookstores website see if you can do this. I vageley rember doing it one year. Oh, as to buying used, be ware that some people will have highlighted the crap out of them with the LSC highlighter methoed, this could be helful or hurtful if they highjlighted the wrong stuff. Thus I would not buy used unless I could flip through it first. I like to be the first to mark up a book.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

somanyquestions

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 10:40:56 AM »
patience is virtue. :P

on a more serious note, you'll get book info with enough time to order from amazon/half/etc.  if you're really anxious, go to the bookstore (or check bookstore website if you know the course number & prof) and see what books are required.  some professors wait til the last minute to put up their booklist so you may have to wait anyway.

well, better get back to work.  enjoy your summer!
3L @ University of Denver

kill the headlights

• Sr. Citizen
  • ...and put it in neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 02:19:30 AM »
Yeah, I am planning on going to the bookstore on Monday. I think that should be enough time to order the books. I was thinking also that it would be helpful to check and make sure books are not marked up too bad before I buy them. I would be distracted by someone else's markings. They are just really expensive new though.
Paid the seat deposit at DU

brianwithani

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 08:37:07 AM »
Be careful with used Amazon orders too.  I bought a used E&E that was listed as "Used-Very Good" and had "Hardly been used" in the comment box.  When I recieved it, it had highlighting throughout and a damaged corner.  Of course that is the fault of the seller and not Amazon but when buying used online, make sure it is a trusted seller.
"We are what we repeatedly do.  Excellence, then, is a habit."  Socrates

ladivina

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 01:31:11 PM »
Can you current student recommend which commercial study aids to purchase?  It seems like everyone has a different opinion, but I'd love yours!
University of Denver 1L!
_____________________________ ________________
"Non tutta la frutta fa maturare"

somanyquestions

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 10:15:39 PM »

I would wait, it seems like some case books are updated every year, while others not updated for years, only way to tell is to go see what the book store has. I THINK there is a way to check online by course number, poke around on the bookstores website see if you can do this. I vageley rember doing it one year. Oh, as to buying used, be ware that some people will have highlighted the crap out of them with the LSC highlighter methoed, this could be helful or hurtful if they highjlighted the wrong stuff. Thus I would not buy used unless I could flip through it first. I like to be the first to mark up a book.

You could always just go by the SBA bookstore (4th floor of the law school).  They'll let you know when they're open.  They are used books and you can look through them before purchasing.  Con about relying on the SBA bookstore are that the books go fast and the hours suck.

Can you current student recommend which commercial study aids to purchase?  It seems like everyone has a different opinion, but I'd love yours!

It really depends on the professor.  Sometimes they'll even recommend a certain one.
3L @ University of Denver

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 10:57:44 AM »
Yea SMQ is right, don't forget about the SBA bookstore, its a good place to save money. I allways forget about it becuase its enevr open when I'm at school, but for day stundets you should find it open sometime when your there.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

jlube85

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 06:07:58 PM »
Is anyone not registered yet?

iexcite

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 12:19:02 PM »

Consistently I've found the Examples & Explanations series to be the most helpful. However, I would go thumb through all of them at the bookstore to see which one is best organized to cover what your prof/casebook does. E&E are good defaults.