Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The schools I am applying to  (Read 498 times)

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
The schools I am applying to
« on: July 28, 2008, 10:26:21 PM »
My top concerns are location, prestige, and financial considerations.  My numbers are included in my signature.  Does this look like a good list/ can you think of any others you would add?

Reaches:
Harvard University
Yale University

Targets
Vanderbilt University
Duke University
Washington University in St. Louis
Cornell University

Safeties
University of Kentucky

Any input?
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
Re: The schools I am applying to
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 10:48:42 PM »
There is a method to my madness- if I was to go to the Midwest, Northwestern is really the only school I could see myself going to.  I could never see myself in Virginia (just don't see myself settling in the area), and the school just doesn't appeal to me too much.  I considered applying to Penn, but I figure that the only way I could move myself up north would be for the best of the best (Harvard/Yale) or an Ivy League school that may actually offer me some financial incentive.

Money is a big issue for me- I am getting married in a week and a half, and I really just can't afford to apply to 30 schools.  This may seem short-sighted, but you have to consider your situation.

LSN

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 10:52:51 PM »
The schools to which you are applying.  ;D

I think you're almost a lock at Cornell. What kind of law do you want to practice?

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 10:58:11 PM »
PSU- you are my number twin.  That's pretty cool.

Vanderbilt appeals the most to me.  However, if Duke offered me a scholarship package that was tempting, it would be really hard to turn down the instant credibility a Duke degree provides.

Honestly, I am just a Southerner at heart- I have never been north of Indiana, and I have never had the desire to be.  I love the culture of the South, and it would take a whole lot to pull me away... Harvard/ Yale may very well be the only schools that could do it.

LSN

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 11:13:27 PM »
I think that's fair enough and your list is pretty on target. You know what you want and where you want to live. If you had a desire to or didn't mind moving, it would make sense to blanket the T14. As it is however, going to a regional school would most likely equally serve your interests. There are just some schools that don't appeal. Good luck lucas and congrats on your upcoming nuptials!

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 08:47:59 AM »
Meggo- thanks, we are both very excited!

PSU- I didn't mean to ignore your earlier question.  I am hoping to get into corporate law with a focus in either tax law or mergers and acquisitions.  I am very interested in Vandy's Certificate in Business in Law which is offered in conjunction with Owen School of Management.

LSN