Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: First (and probably last!) law school interview!  (Read 2942 times)

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: First (and probably last!) law school interview!
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 02:58:06 AM »
I don't go to Yankee's games, beaches or college bars but if I did, I don't think I would wear either of the outfits I suggested.

Sad.  :(

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 03:01:11 AM »
Here is my take on interviews. Interviews are a way to weed out weirdos. No one expects a 0L to be extremely eloquent.

Dress up, look sharp, don't go in smelling like pot or booze, be polite i.e. don't call admissions people by their first names unless asked to, talk openly/honestly and even if you get really mad don't attack anyone or piss yourself.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 08:46:51 AM »
Okay, now that we've got you dressed... ;)

Sorry to say, but the only help I can offer is from my experience with b-school interviews (for what it's worth!).  Those questions you threw out?  You're probably dead on with what they'll be asking.  I'd recommend reading over your entire application again, specifically your PS and other essays; I was asked questions regarding actual sentences I had written.  But overall, assuming b-school and law school interviews aren't too different, I'd memorize some answers to the typical "Why our school?  How can you add diversity to our student body?" etc. etc.  Just like you're expecting.

And relax.  Interviews are rarely make or break!

I interviewed with HLS, Northwestern and informally with Vandy (tour and chat with admissions person) and I fully agree with the above advice, based on my experiences. The other thing I'd add is to have some good questions for them (i.e. stuff that you can't get off the website).  If you want further advice, I'd go to a bookstore and flip through the interview section of the Ivey Guide and/or Richard Montauk's "How to get into the Top Law Schools".  Both are great books for law school admissions advice.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

clhurley

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 11:15:31 AM »
Great stuff, thanks. I do have some questions for the people, actually, so that's good. I haven't actually.. applied yet, however, so I don't think they'll be asking me questions about my essays! Apparently, they'll keep my interview file and hook it up with my application should I actually apply.. Ahhhh! And I was so looking forward to a nice relaxing trip to Nashville!
i'm currently abroad in paris, france. poor me. but it changes things.
lsat = 168; gpa = 3.8

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 12:11:31 PM »
Well I guess for me, how I dress is very much an expression of my personality interests and a suit on something like this is just a bit basic and ordinary. But for others I suppose, it's the norm. Also didn't realize this was an actual official admissions style interview. It sounds like you're pretty sorted. I would expect exactly the kind of questions you suggested, and as you said already, you have your own questions that can't be answered on the website. I imagine that's what they'll expect. Just be relaxed and comfortable. I think the best interviews are where you are truly engaged with the interviewer and develop a real rapport, and the best way to do this is be comfortable.

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 02:10:59 PM »
Well I guess for me, how I dress is very much an expression of my personality interests and a suit on something like this is just a bit basic and ordinary.

Don't bother applying to BigLaw.

Samson, B.

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.38 LSAT: 169
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 03:38:13 AM »
I understand that you're probably pretty nervous about the interview but having just visited Vanderbilt last week (just pulled off of the waitlist) and met with some of the folks in the admissions office I can assure you that they all seem to be genuinely friendly people. I sometimes get a bit uncomfortable dealing with such affairs but I was completely at ease the entire time there. Good Luck with your interview.
Vanderbilt University Law School Class of 2011 (and proud!)