Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: First (and probably last!) law school interview!  (Read 2903 times)

clhurley

• View Profile
First (and probably last!) law school interview!
« on: July 28, 2008, 06:30:34 PM »
So I'm visiting Vanderbilt Law on Wednesday, and today when I called for an admissions appointment, they asked if I wanted to set up an interview. I said yes, of course, but I'm entirely unprepared for what to expect, what to wear, how to act, what questions they'll ask, etc.. I'm moving out of the country in about three weeks and wasn't expecting ANY visits to law schools, so it took me by surprise. What are law school interviews like? What should I know? Any information.. pleeeeeease!
i'm currently abroad in paris, france. poor me. but it changes things.
lsat = 168; gpa = 3.8

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: First (and probably last!) law school interview!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 06:35:24 PM »
Wear a suit. It is like applying for a job. Don't look like a slouch.

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 09:52:36 PM »
Is this typical for Vandy?  I wasn't aware they were a school that did interviews.
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 11:19:42 PM »
I wouldn't wear a suit, but that's just me. I feel for something like that it comes off a bit too try hard. There's nothing wrong with showing you're interesting and dressing respectfully but if the consensus is wear a suit, then wear a suit. If it was me, I would wear a pair of slim cut black cotton twill pants, a cute and interesting flat (or heels, whichever you prefer) and a shirt (I have a cute white sleeveless one by Rodarte at the Gap from their 'white shirt' collaboration with the CFDA nominees that is basic but has interesting pleating) or a dress shirt.

It has just occured to me that maybe you are not female, so if you are male, I would just wear a simple khaki's/dress pants and a button down with a decent shoe. Pretty straight forward and basic. It's Vanderbilt in the summer. I don't think they expect you to wear a hot and heavy cotton/wool blend suit to impress them.

The most important thing (other than looking half decent) is being comfortable. If you're uncomfortable with what you're wearing, that will come across and you won't be at ease and engaged.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 11:25:47 PM »
I wouldn't wear a suit, but that's just me. I feel for something like that it comes off a bit too try hard. There's nothing wrong with showing you're interesting and dressing respectfully but if the consensus is wear a suit, then wear a suit. If it was me, I would wear a pair of slim cut black cotton twill pants, a cute and interesting flat (or heels, whichever you prefer) and a shirt (I have a cute white sleeveless one by Rodarte at the Gap from their 'white shirt' collaboration with the CFDA nominees that is basic but has interesting pleating) or a dress shirt.

It has just occured to me that maybe you are not female, so if you are male, I would just wear a simple khaki's/dress pants and a button down with a decent shoe. Pretty straight forward and basic. It's Vanderbilt in the summer. I don't think they expect you to wear a hot and heavy cotton/wool blend suit to impress them.

The most important thing (other than looking half decent) is being comfortable. If you're uncomfortable with what you're wearing, that will come across and you won't be at ease and engaged.

Sounds to me like it's seersucker time!

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 11:31:08 PM »
Trust me, if you are a guy wear at least a sport coat and tie. It is summer time in Tennessee so wear a light colored suit if possible.

Anyone who tells you to dress down either:

a) wants your spot

b) is socially retarded like many law school students

This is not a Saturday afternoon Yankee game, a weekend at the beach or a night out at a college bar with your friends. You are not going to make a bad impression dressing up.

GunnerDore

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 12:09:29 AM »
Trust me, if you are a guy wear at least a sport coat and tie. It is summer time in Tennessee so wear a light colored suit if possible.

Anyone who tells you to dress down either:

a) wants your spot

b) is socially retarded like many law school students

This is not a Saturday afternoon Yankee game, a weekend at the beach or a night out at a college bar with your friends. You are not going to make a bad impression dressing up.

Credited. Business attire is never inappropriate for interviews.

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 12:15:03 AM »
um, I never said the OP should dress down, I said I think a suit was overdressing. I suggested a compromise that would be appropriate. Wearing a button down and a pair of dress pants with nice shoes is appropriate and is business attire. I don't go to Yankee's games, beaches or college bars but if I did, I don't think I would wear either of the outfits I suggested. I would also say that the OP's gender will play a role in the appropriate outfit.

hopkins

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 12:19:43 AM »
Wear a suit.  Regardless of gender (aside: if female, no open toed shoes).  Regardless of anything.  Wear. a. suit.

And good luck! :)

clhurley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 12:33:00 AM »
Haha, OK, OK, I know to wear a suit.. I knew that from the moment I signed up with the interview. I want to know more about general questions to expect in the interview. "Why Vanderbilt Law? What do you think you could bring as a law student? What do you wish to do with your JD?" etc., etc. is what I'm expecting, but.. then again, I've never done one.

And yes, the Vanderbilt interview is new, apparently starting for this cycle!
i'm currently abroad in paris, france. poor me. but it changes things.
lsat = 168; gpa = 3.8