Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Doing well as a 1L  (Read 9009 times)

sstar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Doing well as a 1L
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 04:20:58 PM »
tiggity tag
T'50 Class of 2011

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 04:40:14 PM »
What does it mean to "book brief"?  I've seen sample case briefs (on school websites and such), but I don't get how you would book brief.  I'm assuming it means brief right there in the book, but I just don't understand how this is done properly.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008, 04:56:21 PM »
What does it mean to "book brief"?  I've seen sample case briefs (on school websites and such), but I don't get how you would book brief.  I'm assuming it means brief right there in the book, but I just don't understand how this is done properly.

There are different ways to do it, but I use one of those 4 color pens like this

I underline facts in green, procedure in red, rules in black, and reasoning in blue. With practice you get to the point where you only need to underline just a few parts of the case to remember the details. I make notes in the margin of key parts of the case as I read. When I outline I just put it the holding/rules in my own words most of the time. You could use highlighters, but 4 color pen is not as obnoxious as your whole page colored in different highlighters. Of course donít lose your book, or your screwed :) I put my name/phone/e-mail and REWARD IF FOUND on the first page of each book then mark it out after the class before I sell back.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008, 04:57:20 PM »
The T, the A, the G, the G, the I, the N, the G, it's TAGGING!

not to hijack the thread, because it's very informative, but is this a "Jimmy" reference?

If by Jimmy you meant Diddy  ;D

zeppcrash

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2008, 10:56:21 AM »
TAG

zeppcrash

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2008, 10:59:59 AM »
Tag

likeitmatters

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2008, 10:19:34 PM »
very helpful, thanks to all of you who posted tips! 

Max Fischer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2008, 03:52:43 PM »
I went to class, read everything (but briefed nothing), and went through a supplement or two for most classes (usually ones with problem sets).  I did almost no outlining.  I occasionally looked at someone else's.  I did a few practice exams in advance of each class.  In the end, I was fairly well-prepared for every exam I took, even though class/work/study only took up to 30-40 hrs of my week.  To be better prepared, I'd recommend the following:

1) Write a detailed outline for each class.  Consult it often and pare it down often as you go.  Try to get outlines from 2Ls and 3Ls who ended up doing well in previous iterations of the class (for any given professor, not much changes from year to year).

2) Make sure you know the black-letter law well enough a few weeks in advance of the exams to start doing practice exam after practice exam, and little else.

2) is probably more important, but 1) would help with 2).

Sidenote: my class notes were atrocious and I barely looked at them.  Transcription would've been helpful, but I can't type that fast.  If I heard something in lecture that I already knew, I'd rarely write it down--but that wasn't such a good strategy, given that something I knew the day of the lecture might not be in my memory two months later.

*devo*

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
tag

philosophia

• Please. Just. Don't.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2008, 01:15:21 AM »