Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it Acceptable to Round Your GPA on a Resume?  (Read 23474 times)

craven

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is it Acceptable to Round Your GPA on a Resume?
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 06:12:37 PM »
I'd check your school's policy, most are pretty clear.  That said, from an intellectual honesty POV, my gut says that rounding to hundredths is ok, rounding to tenths is not, due to the large difference in magnitude.

The Knight

• Not URM, just dark. I know...it's weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 11:46:48 PM »
I think that it is also important to consider how much of a train wreck transcripts can be. 

As an extreme example I attended five universities (one out of the country) throughout my undergraduate career.  Three of the schools used a +/- system, one of them used a straight letter system, and the foreign school used a mix of pass-fail, ABC and satisfactory-exceptional marks.  Two different degrees earned at the same time, over 165 hours of classes, have made my transcript an alphabet soup of As, Bs, Cs, Ds, Fs, Ts, S, Us, etc.  Well, no Ds anyway...*chuckle*

Depending on how you calculate my GPA it can be anywhere from 3.1 to 3.4.  LSAC reported it as 3.30, my undergrad institution reported it as 3.23.  I usually go conservative with 3.2.  If a firm wants to call me out on it over something so trivial, f-em.  It's a GPA, not a personality disorder.

It's pretty easy to lose sight of how unimportant a 3.3 vs. a 3.4 is in the real world.  I don't know any attorneys who would give a sh!t.
I'm really happy with my school!!!

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 12:59:08 PM »
I think that it is also important to consider how much of a train wreck transcripts can be. 

As an extreme example I attended five universities (one out of the country) throughout my undergraduate career.  Three of the schools used a +/- system, one of them used a straight letter system, and the foreign school used a mix of pass-fail, ABC and satisfactory-exceptional marks.  Two different degrees earned at the same time, over 165 hours of classes, have made my transcript an alphabet soup of As, Bs, Cs, Ds, Fs, Ts, S, Us, etc.  Well, no Ds anyway...*chuckle*

Depending on how you calculate my GPA it can be anywhere from 3.1 to 3.4.  LSAC reported it as 3.30, my undergrad institution reported it as 3.23.  I usually go conservative with 3.2.  If a firm wants to call me out on it over something so trivial, f-em.  It's a GPA, not a personality disorder.

It's pretty easy to lose sight of how unimportant a 3.3 vs. a 3.4 is in the real world.  I don't know any attorneys who would give a sh!t.

There's a bit of a difference between undergrad GPA importance and law school GPA importance. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2008, 12:59:49 PM »
Rounding to the hundredths is certainly much more acceptable than rounding to the tenths. There's not much difference between a 3.56 and a 3.57, but there's a fairly significant difference between a 3.5 and a 3.6.

My school doesn't allow us to round at all, which is good because rounding is a little shady. But you absolutely can't round to the tenths. How could you even think that would be ok?

My school told us to round to the tenths is shady.  If your school tells you that something is okay, I'd imagine that you'd think it was okay.  If a school thinks it's okay, I don't see why it's so ridiculous for law students to think it's okay.

Fixt.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

almostlegal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 02:47:05 PM »
Rounding to the hundredths is certainly much more acceptable than rounding to the tenths. There's not much difference between a 3.56 and a 3.57, but there's a fairly significant difference between a 3.5 and a 3.6.

My school doesn't allow us to round at all, which is good because rounding is a little shady. But you absolutely can't round to the tenths. How could you even think that would be ok?

My school told us to round to the tenths.  If your school tells you that something is okay, I'd imagine that you'd think it was okay.  If a school thinks it's okay, I don't see why it's so ridiculous for law students to think it's okay.

That's fine and all that your school said that, and it will probably shield you from getting into any sort of serious trouble, but I still wouldn't do it. A firm is going to see your transcript, and if it doesn't match, they're not only going to use the actual GPA in making their hiring decision, but they're also probably going to think a bit less of you as a person.

I'm sorry but if your school tells you to do something, you do it.  You don't say, "Well, gee, I'm a first-year law student, I think I know more than you do."  My school did not suggest it, they said "do it." 

Of course, I will also point out that this only applies to undergrad GPAs because my school did not have GPA (or grades). 

The Knight

• Not URM, just dark. I know...it's weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2008, 05:56:04 PM »

There's a bit plenty of difference between undergrad GPA importance and law school GPA importance. 
I was speaking for undergraduate GPA only.  Law School GPAs seem very finite and subject to scrutiny.
I'm really happy with my school!!!

AOCenteno

• View Profile
    • A Tailored Suit
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2008, 09:45:23 PM »
Better to be completely transparent on the safe side, but if your school has a policy though follow that.