Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it Acceptable to Round Your GPA on a Resume?  (Read 24000 times)

gubdowb83

• View Profile
Is it Acceptable to Round Your GPA on a Resume?
« on: July 28, 2008, 04:19:20 PM »
Could I round a 3.37 to a 3.4 on the resume without raising any academic integrity issues? I mean, the firms are going to see my transcripts eventually anyway.

huhwhat

• View Profile
Re: Is it Acceptable to Round Your GPA on a Resume?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 05:09:04 PM »
I don't think that is allowed.  My school wouldn't even let me round a 3.798 to a 3.8.  You should probably check with the school, but I wouldn't round up.  Not rounding is even more important if the law firms are going to see your transcript- I'm not sure what rounding would achieve in that scenario. 

antsor5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 05:26:42 PM »
I'd say its definitely not allowed. I know my school has a firm policy against it.

soon-to-be-grad

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 11:40:10 AM »
I have a 3.258 and my resume says 3.26   I feel OK w/ that, but it is a fine line you walk...

antsor5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 11:50:13 AM »
I have a 3.258 and my resume says 3.26   I feel OK w/ that, but it is a fine line you walk...

why would you round that? I'd love to round mine to but I don't think its worth the risk. I'd still really check with your schools, im sure most have a policy against.

almostlegal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 12:17:24 PM »
I'd look at your school's policy.

My old school told me to round to one decimal place.  I actually should probably check my new school's policy....

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 12:37:12 PM »
my school was pretty clear on this resume must macth transcript exactly
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

xferlawstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 02:39:31 PM »
Do you think I could round a 2.73 up to a 4.0?  Its just easier to deal with the much rounder number.

almostlegal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 03:26:52 PM »
Rounding to the hundredths is certainly much more acceptable than rounding to the tenths. There's not much difference between a 3.56 and a 3.57, but there's a fairly significant difference between a 3.5 and a 3.6.

My school doesn't allow us to round at all, which is good because rounding is a little shady. But you absolutely can't round to the tenths. How could you even think that would be ok?

My school told us to round to the tenths.  If your school tells you that something is okay, I'd imagine that you'd think it was okay.  If a school thinks it's okay, I don't see why it's so ridiculous for law students to think it's okay.

WaveLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 05:01:08 PM »
Rounding to the hundredths is certainly much more acceptable than rounding to the tenths. There's not much difference between a 3.56 and a 3.57, but there's a fairly significant difference between a 3.5 and a 3.6.

My school doesn't allow us to round at all, which is good because rounding is a little shady. But you absolutely can't round to the tenths. How could you even think that would be ok?

My school told us to round to the tenths.  If your school tells you that something is okay, I'd imagine that you'd think it was okay.  If a school thinks it's okay, I don't see why it's so ridiculous for law students to think it's okay.

Ok, if you want to round up you must also agree to be subject to rounding down. Any takers?