Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 169 / 3.63 - retake?  (Read 1581 times)

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 169 / 3.63 - retake?
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 12:26:46 AM »

You're not getting into HYS (or probably Boalt) because of your GPA, and you already have a decent shot at everywhere else, so I'd go ahead and apply.  Apply to everything in the T14, and the other schools noted, and you'll probably end up with several options (and at least one T14). 

Make sure you visit the schools you're most interested in, meet with the adcoms, etc.  You're right on the borderline, so you want to push yourself over.

Is it difficult to get an interview at most law schools?  I know Northwestern pushes for interviews (although I believe they can be with someone more local).  I might try and make a trip out east to some schools, although I don't know how many I could visit (some seven states for my highest ranked schools).

Formal intereviews aren't always available, but you can usually meet with an admissions person as part of an arranged tour/visit.  This is a good way to get your face in front of them, get them to see you as more than a set of #'s, etc.  It also makes clear your commitment to the school, which they like.  (They never want to waste an acceptance.)

It's therefore a great idea whenever you're a borderline applicant.  You should at least visit your 5 favorite schools, including a couple "target" schools (where you're right around median).  That should help make them more secure, and it will also increase your odds at the reaches.

CLS and NYU can obviously be visited together.  Same with Chicago and NU.  Same with UCLA/USC, although everything outside of the T14 is basically a safety for you, and doesn't really require a visit.

If you just want to guarantee yourself a T10 admission, you could just apply ED to Michigan, make a quick visit, and you should be golden (as long as you don't drool on your essay).  However, your numbers are good enough that you have a decent shot at other schools, including CCN, so you may want to keep your options open.

I would advise you at least visit UC and NU -- your odds at CCN are best at UC, and they're probably the best school in the country for placement after HYS.  NU would make a nice backup.  Outside of that, you should visit any other schools in the T14 you're especially interested in, and you can also visit CLS/NYU if you're feeling ambitious.

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 02:56:25 AM »
I think you may have a decent shot at Boalt. Your GPA is only .01 under their 25-75%, and your LSAT is 2 points over their median. That is about as good as it can get for a splitter.

Good luck!

The problem with Boalt is that 1) they're idiosyncratic with their admissions, and actually pretty hard to get into on a % basis.  They're also very GPA focused, as noted, so if you don't have a 3.8, it's usually tough going, regardless of LSAT. 

He should still apply, of course, but I think he'd actually have better odds at CCN, not to mention the other 14 schools.

They are very GPA based? So they don't accept people inside of their 25-75%? That does not make sense. The OP is .01 off of the 25-75%.

Anyway, the statement that Berkeley is GPA based is incorrect. Here is the Berkeley admissions index:

xLSAT - 0.871    
xGPA -  23.487     
Constant - 8.474
Total - 259.202
GPA% - 37.47%

The GPA% is 37.47, and even with the constant removed the GPA% is still less than 50%.  :o

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 12:12:48 PM »
I think you may have a decent shot at Boalt. Your GPA is only .01 under their 25-75%, and your LSAT is 2 points over their median. That is about as good as it can get for a splitter.

Good luck!

The problem with Boalt is that 1) they're idiosyncratic with their admissions, and actually pretty hard to get into on a % basis.  They're also very GPA focused, as noted, so if you don't have a 3.8, it's usually tough going, regardless of LSAT. 

He should still apply, of course, but I think he'd actually have better odds at CCN, not to mention the other 14 schools.

They are very GPA based? So they don't accept people inside of their 25-75%? That does not make sense. The OP is .01 off of the 25-75%.

Anyway, the statement that Berkeley is GPA based is incorrect. Here is the Berkeley admissions index:

xLSAT - 0.871    
xGPA -  23.487     
Constant - 8.474
Total - 259.202
GPA% - 37.47%

The GPA% is 37.47, and even with the constant removed the GPA% is still less than 50%.  :o

Anytime either of your numbers is below the 25%, you're pretty much in trouble, unless your other number is off the charts.  This is especially true for Boalt, which appears to like to keep their GPA up around 3.8.  (And it's relatively easy to find high GPA's, of course.) 

This is what I mean by GPA focused -- while they may still weigh LSAT more heavily overall, they focus on GPA more than the other T14s, aside from HYS.

Factor in the fact that they're hard to get into anyway, on a percentage basis, and you can see why he'd have better odds at the other 7-14 schools, which focus more on LSAT. 

Doesn't mean he shouldn't apply, just means he probably has better odds at other schools.

DontQuestionMe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 02:15:55 PM »

Good luck!

xLSAT - 0.871    
xGPA -  23.487     
Constant - 8.474
Total - 259.202
GPA% - 37.47%

Anytime either of your numbers is below the 25%, you're pretty much in trouble, unless your other number is off the charts.  This is especially true for Boalt, which appears to like to keep their GPA up around 3.8.  (And it's relatively easy to find high GPA's, of course.) 

This is what I mean by GPA focused -- while they may still weigh LSAT more heavily overall, they focus on GPA more than the other T14s, aside from HYS.

Factor in the fact that they're hard to get into anyway, on a percentage basis, and you can see why he'd have better odds at the other 7-14 schools, which focus more on LSAT. 

Doesn't mean he shouldn't apply, just means he probably has better odds at other schools.

I agree. Being a splitter is not good at Florida International, much less Boalt. With that being said, the OP is not a splitter by much. Missing the 25% by .01 is a statistical fluke.

If the OP wants to go to Boalt I would suggest writing a bang up PS, an addendum about why he/she is a perfect match Boalt, use targeted LORs and that the OP will have a decent shot.