Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Brooklyn vs. UW-Madison  (Read 1158 times)

korzhenevich

• View Profile
    • Email
Brooklyn vs. UW-Madison
« on: July 28, 2008, 01:13:25 PM »
It seems to be that everyone I speak to says it's a hands-down decision to go to Wisco. So, I want to know...what's so bad about Brooklyn?

Still on the wait-list for GW and Fordham...

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Brooklyn vs. UW-Madison
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 02:26:50 PM »
Would you rather go to the 5th best law school in a large legal market that attracts the top 10% of every T-14 school, or go to the best school in a much smaller market that's also the 4th/5th best school in an entire geographic region that includes several mid-sized markets?

If you are dead-set on wanting to work/live in NYC, go to Brooklyn.  Otherwise, you would likely save money in tuition and have more job opportunities at Wisco.
"If Mars had life on it // I might find my wife on it!"
-Brian Wilson

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 02:33:17 PM »
I don't think that it's so much something that's wrong with Brooklyn as much as it is that Wisconsin is a superior school in almost every way.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

wiseowl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 03:10:11 PM »
and hey, if you stay in Wisky, no bar exam!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/wiseowl
Pending: Columbia, Emory, UNC
In: UVA, Duke, GULC, Vandy, UGA ($), WFU, GW, George Mason
Neither In nor Out:
Out:

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 04:48:31 PM »
The whole "regional school" crap is blown out of proportion. If you are at a T1 and you have a connection to a region (ideally you grew up there, your parents live there, or some huge connection) you shouldn't have a problem working in that region even if your school is elsewhere. Look at the websites of firm's you are looking to work at and see if anybody went to school at Wisconsin (for the NYC firms). Chances are you will see a few sprinkled in. Also keep in mind self-selection bias (most students at UW grew up in WI, and plan on remaining in WI post graduation). The book Guerrilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of your Dreams has a chapter on out-of-region job searches, so check your library (or purchase the newest version, which is the one that includes that chapter) and read up on it. Given that, I'd recommend UW cuz your experience will be far superior.

JbooklynD

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 05:05:37 PM »
If you want to work in NY, go to Brooklyn.  You will have a MUCH harder time getting into the NY legal market from Wisconsin. 

It's funny that everyone says Brooklyn is the fifth best school in NYC.  I'm not sure most people consider it any different than Cardozo, and with a greater alumni base, it actually places better in many top firms. 

If you look at the quality of student at BLS and Wisconsin, you'll notice that BLS has higher stats(GPA and LSAT) for their students.  The only reason BLS is lower on the US News ranking is that it's only known on the East Coast and not attached to a major univeristy with name recognition.

Mori

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 05:15:25 PM »
Like everyone has said, it depends on what region you want to work in. Brooklyn --> New York, UW-Mad --> Wisconsin, Chicago

If I was in your shoes, I would pick Madison, but thats only because I would prefer to work in Chicago.
LSN

"Congrats - you'll be the feminine hygiene product non trad gunner who everyone hates" -
Lollypotter

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 06:22:36 PM »
Unless your life's happiness requires you to remain in New York, go to Wisco.  And this is from someone who really doesn't like the midwest.  Make the move to Madison and enjoy the cheaper tuition, cheaper rent, better degree, great beer (and cheese...and sausage...), beautiful lake, gorgeous campus, State Street, and the beautiful outdoors.
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

korzhenevich

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 08:58:07 PM »
thanks everyone for all the great replies...

i went to wisco for undergrad so i'm having a difficult time being okay with the idea of staying there for another 3 years...of course not having to take the bar exam is a huge advantage...but really an advantage for people who will work in wisco or consider it sometime in their future...

to my understanding, brooklyn will give me so many more opportunities in the legal market...post-wisco, (even though there may be some wisco graduates in ny) i beleive it will be increasingly harder to land a good job...

this whole process sucks

drleather2001

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 09:16:28 PM »
I think you are under-estimating the job competitiveness situation in the NYC legal market.

Yes, there are more desirable legal jobs in NYC and on the east coast in general.  However, you're not going to get a crack at them until the grads from NYU, Columbia, and most of the other T-14s (like Penn, which has the highest percentage of grads working in NYC, I believe) have their shot.  Then, IF you're near the top of your class, you'll vie for the open spots with guys from Fordham that will have an advantage, plus the grads from Cardozo and the top 5%-10% from St. John's and maybe a handful of folks from Pace and NY Law School.  If you don't get a job after that, you're more or less immobile.  Or rather, getting a job out of market will be very, very, hard unless you have a connection.

I'm not saying don't do it (interestingly, I live in Brooklyn and I'm going to UMN because I'm sick of this area), but be sure that you really want to do the NYC thing if you decide to go to BLS.  Also, if you don't mind me asking, what is the tuition situation?  I'm guessing you'd get in state at UW, which would just make this a no-brainer for me, although if you really are sick of Wisconsin, then that's something to consider.
"If Mars had life on it // I might find my wife on it!"
-Brian Wilson