Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Circus Ponies or Omnioutliner?  (Read 2436 times)

jlube85

• View Profile
    • Email
Circus Ponies or Omnioutliner?
« on: July 28, 2008, 11:03:11 AM »
I am trying to decide which program to purchase in order to make outlines.  I have watched to tutorials for both programs online and am having a tough time deciding which program would be better to use.  Circus ponies does seem a bit more fancy than necessary, however it is about 30 dollars cheaper than omnioutliner pro.  Any suggestions on which program would be better to purchase and why?

jlube85

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Circus Ponies or Omnioutliner?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 04:08:35 PM »
Anyone?

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 11:03:42 AM »
Microsoft Office comes with Word.  I hear it's good.

jlube85

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 11:22:27 AM »
I do have Microsoft word but is that really good for outlining.  Wouldn't that be more of a simple note taking tool?

Slice57

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 02:28:08 PM »
If you've got the latest Office, try OneNote before you go buying anything else!

yykm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 02:38:39 PM »
I do have Microsoft word but is that really good for outlining.  Wouldn't that be more of a simple note taking tool?
It has an outlining function to it.  I just don't see why you'd spend the money on something else when all you need is a simple outlining program.  Word works fine, and it's all I've used so far (I'm a rising 3L).

jlube85

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 03:09:37 PM »
If you've got the latest Office, try OneNote before you go buying anything else!

Can I use OneNote for a Mac? 
It has an outlining function to it.  I just don't see why you'd spend the money on something else when all you need is a simple outlining program.  Word works fine, and it's all I've used so far (I'm a rising 3L).

How do you use the outline function in word?

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 06:29:50 PM »

Can I use OneNote for a Mac? 

How do you use the outline function in word?

It's one of the views in Word 2008. I'm not sure if it's in the earlier versions.

I'm not a fan. Perhaps I don't really know how to use it yet? I don't like trying to deal with setting up the different styles–I think that's the only way to get away from the pre-set fonts.

jlube85

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 01:46:04 PM »
With the column function in Omnioutliner, does anyone know how to use it so that the columns are separate and when hitting return in the added column, a space is not made in the initial column as well.  Can it be used similar to the column function in OneNote?

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 02:14:39 PM »
I don't think you can, that's why I didn't use it for my class notes. The only thing that acts like OneNote is OneNote, which is why I'm a little annoyed they haven't come out with a Mac version yet.