Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When to follow up?  (Read 972 times)

lawdork

• View Profile
When to follow up?
« on: July 28, 2008, 11:01:41 AM »
So i've submitted tons of resumes to non-OCI firms, how long should I wait to follow up?

lawdork

• View Profile
Re: When to follow up?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 11:21:03 AM »
no suggestions?

Megara

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 09:15:34 PM »
curious about this too.  If i plan to make a visit in the very near future to the area, is it acceptable to send an email to the legal recruiter and let them know?

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 09:43:08 PM »
So i've submitted tons of resumes to non-OCI firms, how long should I wait to follow up?

Give them a couple of weeks at least. Summer programs are still running at a lot of firms. Unless...

If i plan to make a visit in the very near future to the area, is it acceptable to send an email to the legal recruiter and let them know?

Yes. This is information that should be included in a cover letter if you know when you're writing. Otherwise, let them know (or, if you did, follow up a few weeks before your visit if you haven't heard anything.). Make sure you do this at least a few weeks before your visit, if you can.

Megara

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 09:47:02 PM »
If i plan to make a visit in the very near future to the area, is it acceptable to send an email to the legal recruiter and let them know?

Yes. This is information that should be included in a cover letter if you know when you're writing. Otherwise, let them know (or, if you did, follow up a few weeks before your visit if you haven't heard anything.). Make sure you do this at least a few weeks before your visit, if you can.
[/quote]

Well, i sent my application about two weeks ago and have not heard back yet.  I plan to visit the area in about two and a half weeks.  I figure that if I plan to let them know, I should do it sooner than later.  Is email an acceptable method?  It feels so informal, but snail mail would be short notice...

thanks for the info!

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 09:50:42 PM »
Email or call. Regular mail will be slow and may get stuck in a file without being read.

sternerstuff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 11:42:45 PM »
I talked to a former v10 employee who used to help out with hiring,....

They said that Aug. 15th ish  was a  good time to send them all, so I think youre fine if not a  little early. Ive heard 3Ls usually send their stuff out around this time to get in under the 2Ls.   Also, they said that if you were not selected for screening or call back etc and you want to follow up the best time to do it would be mid-late sept, or early oct.
So the wisdom that Ive accumulated would tell you to save the stressing for a few weeks from now when we are all at war.
Battle well.