Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: AA: The belief that URM's are inherently inferior, and can't compete  (Read 23459 times)

Private David Lewis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: AA: The belief that URM's are inherently inferior, and can't compete
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2009, 04:59:12 PM »
This bell curve stuff is funny. Academic performance is all about environment and early nurturing, and suburban Blacks prove that. And, where did that moron get the stat that says poor Whites out-perform rich Blacks?

Probably got it from somewhere like this:

http://www.altermedia.info/race/wealthy-blacks-still-score-lower-than-poor-whites_491.html

If Blacks are intellectually inferior, why do Carribbean Blacks and native Africans come over to America and dominate our college classrooms?

Have you considered that this is because Africans who immigrate to the United States are some of the most ambitious and intelligent members of their African communities?
The main partner in their Entertainment Law group went to CLS, but he was Fiske and on LR, so be careful.  You don't want to set yourself goals that are too high.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2009, 05:49:15 PM »
This bell curve stuff is funny. Academic performance is all about environment and early nurturing, and suburban Blacks prove that. And, where did that moron get the stat that says poor Whites out-perform rich Blacks?

http://www.altermedia.info/race/wealthy-blacks-still-score-lower-than-poor-whites_491.html

If Blacks are intellectually inferior, why do Carribbean Blacks and native Africans come over to America and dominate our college classrooms?

Have you considered that this is because Africans who immigrate to the United States are some of the most ambitious and intelligent members of their African communities?

I can't believe you are trying to defend this crap, [Finn].  I really thought better of you.

ETA: Not that I don't understand/believe that there is a racial achievement gap.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

This is wrong.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dear LawDog3...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2009, 05:54:08 PM »

I can't believe you are trying to defend this crap, Hank.  I really thought better of you.

I can't believe you're surprised!  Weren't you listening to me?  Hank is a racist!  Jesus, I spent several threads proving this obvious truth.  Leopards don't suddenly lose their spots.
I do not like hats.
I do not like them on bats.
I would not like them near cats.
I would not like them made out of mats.

Private David Lewis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2009, 11:00:11 PM »
Sorry; not to defend the Scribner person.  I also condemn the content of his post. 
The main partner in their Entertainment Law group went to CLS, but he was Fiske and on LR, so be careful.  You don't want to set yourself goals that are too high.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2009, 11:37:56 PM »

I can't believe you are trying to defend this crap, Hank.  I really thought better of you.

I can't believe you're surprised!  Weren't you listening to me?  Hank is a racist!  Jesus, I spent several threads proving this obvious truth.  Leopards don't suddenly lose their spots.

No! Have YOU considered that these people (through generations) have been allowed to progress through life unfettered by the negative, deleterious effects of white institutional, societal and environmental racism? And that if African-Americans were similarly situated, they would, too, have on average, the same or far greater success?

As for your assertion that these other members of the African diaspora are somehow superior to African Americans, lest you forget two things:

1) Slaveholders took the (physically and mentally) best and brightest Africans as slaves, and African Americans are the descendants of those slaves. What happens to be different, however, is white genes that came from slavemasters, which, if Whites are superior, should make African-Americans much better, correct? The other influence has been Jim Crowe, segregated and unequal schools, and societal forces that have historically weighed on African-American individuals and families.

2) African-Americans have been the leaders of the free world as far as ethnic people are concerned. For every Chavez, there are two Malcolm -X's; For every Leonard Peltier, there is Madaam CJ Walker and Oprah. there may be a National Indian Youth Council, but the Black Panthers started the young people's revolution of the 60's, and the NIYC followed them. Who is the Jamaican Barack Obama? Where's the Nigerian Oprah or the Gahnaian WEB Dubois? Can anyone even na,me them? Black Americans have been the most brutalized, yet have accomplished the most of any ethnic group worldwide. 

As for the link above, I never believe tenuous messages that come from the very people who are most invested in the message. Only a fool does that. And whites invented the statistic...there are lies, there are damned lies...lastly...there are statistics!    

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2009, 11:41:15 PM »
LawDog, you're barely making sense at this point.  I mean, seriously, why are you using Obama as an example?  He is not a descendant of (American) slaves.  But whatever, I agree with you that the Bell Curve stuff is barely papered-over racist bull.  I just think your approach is a disservice to your argument.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2009, 11:43:54 PM »
LawDog, you're barely making sense at this point.  I mean, seriously, why are you using Obama as an example?  He is not a descendant of (American) slaves.  But whatever, I agree with you that the Bell Curve stuff is barely papered-over racist bull.  I just think your approach is a disservice to your argument.

We're talking "Blacks"...and he has been influenced by Black America...not as much by whites (other than his mother and family). He didn't join a white church, he doesn't listen to White music (his I-pod has Mary J. Blidge in it), and he's not raising his children to "worship" white people. He is a humanist, but he understands where he grew up...and how...as an African-American man.

I make perfect sense. Barack knows who he is, and that's why the Jeremiah Wright controversey scared some people. Barack is African-American...period!

The use of Barack serves two purposes: to dispel the myth that anyone's intelligence is innate. There are environmental factors that play a larger part in one's acheivement. And two, to highlight that African-American culture is one of pure mobilization that spawns people like barack Obama, regardless of bloodlines. Remember? The poster below has stated that Carribean Blacks and Native Africans (and probably blacks in the UK) are superior to African-Americans. But he also stated that we were all inferior to whites. So there are dual arguments going on. I have not undermined my arguments at all.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2009, 11:47:18 PM »

We're talking "Blacks"...and he has been influenced by Black America...not whites. He didn't join a white church, he doesn't listen to White music (his I-pod has Mary J. Blidge in it), and he's not raising his children to "worship" white people. He is a humanist, but he understands where he grew up...and how...as an African-American man.

I make perfect sense. Barack knows who he is, and that's why the Jeremiah Wright controversey scared some people. Barack is African-American...period!

I didn't say he wasn't African American.  But you seemed to be trying to make the point that people elsewhere in the African diaspora are no smarter than descendants of American slaves, who were, indeed, selected in part for their perceived gifts.  Obama is a terrible example of that since he is not, in fact, a descendant of American slaves.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2009, 11:51:50 PM »

We're talking "Blacks"...and he has been influenced by Black America...not whites. He didn't join a white church, he doesn't listen to White music (his I-pod has Mary J. Blidge in it), and he's not raising his children to "worship" white people. He is a humanist, but he understands where he grew up...and how...as an African-American man.

I didn't say he wasn't African American.  But you seemed to be trying to make the point that people elsewhere in the African diaspora are no smarter than descendants of American slaves, who were, indeed, selected in part for their perceived gifts.  Obama is a terrible example of that since he is not, in fact, a descendant of American slaves.

Read my remark below on the use of Barack Obama. His primary influences have been a mixture of his mis mother's nurturing (which typical African-Americans do not receive) and African-American culture, in addition to his natural gifts. In other words, Barack is the perfect example for my argument that environmental factors account for the successes of some Blacks (many of whom are not African American) and the relative failures of others...get it now?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2009, 11:54:30 PM »
Read my remark below on the use of Barack Obama. His primary influences have been a mixture of his mis mother's nurturing (which typical African-Americans do not receive) and African-American culture, in addition to his natural gifts. In other words, Barack is the perfect example for my argument that environmental factors account for the successes of some Blacks (many of whom are not African American) and the relative failures of others...get it now?

It remains incoherent.  It's not a matter of whether I "get it."

ETA: And while I agree with you that black Americans have been brutalized (indeed, for at least the last decade I've devoted my life to trying to do something about it), the notion that they have been the "most brutalized," that is, more brutalized than other members of the African diaspora or Native Americans or ethnic minorities in some other parts of the world, is absurd.  I really don't know how you can even draw these comparisons.  It's not the f-ing Olympics.