Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: AA: The belief that URM's are inherently inferior, and can't compete  (Read 22826 times)

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: AA: The belief that URM's are inherently inferior, and can't compete
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2009, 07:59:37 PM »
male anti-intellectualism?

The argument is not "whether AA works" it is "should AA continue." The answer for women is a clear no, at least in most educational settings (science still has some work to do).

Arguing about whether AA has benefited women is just a way of avoiding the more uncomfortable race issues underlying the current debate about AA.

I don't know about that; it seems if at one time there was affirmative action for women, and such affirmative action produced "good" results, then that would be a persuasive argument for the continuation of affirmative action in the racial context.  If, however, affirmative action has not helped women achieve rough equality in post-secondary education, perhaps they relied on something else.  And knowing this something else might be beneficial in helping blacks achieve the same sort of equality for themselves.

Except, I think, that ďsomething elseĒ was the majority of women who took advantage of the early AA policy letting them into schools and professions..were white women. Once white male society got over the white wemonez not having a penis, there really was not that much difference between the white man and the white woman. They usually had similar social economic upbringings, lived in the same neighborhoods, went to the same churches, the same schools together, married each other and had like minded children. The main difference was that they were not permitted to do these things before simply because they were women, but they were still relatively equal as white women (as opposed to same black women at the same point in time).

It only a teken a few decades or so for white women to earn the parity in the workforce/education that they had always held on the home front simply because the adjustment was, relatively, simple. It meant only changing your opinion of the capabilities of your wife or female children, something you already knew personally they were capable of. It did not include, at least for white women, breaking into a society formerly closed to them - they had always been a part of that society - albeit in a different capacity, until AA came along.

That strategy does not work for ethnic minorities unfortunately. Yes racial minorities have learned valuable lessons from the successes of AA for women as a whole, but white women started higher up in the food chain to begin with thus reached parity sooner. Black women still face obsticles that thier white counterparts did not. Thatís not to say I donít think racial minorities wonít ever reach that same parity, I think they will, but they started a lot farther back and with more hurdles than white women, and thus judging the success or failure of AA without considering that part of it does not look at the whole picture, at least in my view.

*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2009, 08:36:55 PM »
I totally agree, Matthies!
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2009, 08:46:17 PM »
I totally agree, Matthies!

What the hell kind of AA thread is this, with everyone agreeing with each other all over the place. I want my money back.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

Scribner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2009, 02:43:49 PM »
URMs evolved to have different skin color, genetic disorders, hair, skull thickness, and muscle structure. Maybe, just maybe, they evolved to have different intelligence characteristics.

And before some moron asserts that environmental factors play a part, I will concede that they do; however, poor whites still outperform rich blacks.

Think about it. I'm not saying all blacks are dumb, just that they are much dumber on average.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2009, 03:45:40 PM »
URMs evolved to have different skin color, genetic disorders, hair, skull thickness, and muscle structure. Maybe, just maybe, they evolved to have different intelligence characteristics.

And before some moron asserts that environmental factors play a part, I will concede that they do; however, poor whites still outperform rich blacks.

Think about it. I'm not saying all blacks are dumb, just that they are much dumber on average.

Iíve always wondered is it hard for you guys to type with the Klan hood on?
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

This is wrong.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dear LawDog3...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2009, 03:55:53 PM »

Iíve always wondered is it hard for you guys to type with the Klan hood on?

:D :D :D
I do not like hats.
I do not like them on bats.
I would not like them near cats.
I would not like them made out of mats.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2009, 04:11:49 PM »

I don't know, man...this was a pretty stupid post.  Are you black?
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2009, 05:33:05 PM »
You are fabulous creatures, each and every one. I have nothing to add.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2009, 02:13:14 AM »

Banned for failure to evolve.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2009, 04:11:40 AM »
This bell curve stuff is funny. Academic performance is all about environment and early nurturing, and suburban Blacks prove that. And, where did that moron get the stat that says poor Whites out-perform rich Blacks? I beg to differ on that one. And, does anyone know that nearly every African-American has some white blood in their genes, along with indian, spanish and Asian blood? Black Americans are mixed.

Furthermore, people speak as if Black Americans are the only Blacks on the planet. If Blacks are intellectually inferior, why do Carribbean Blacks and native Africans come over to America and dominate our college classrooms? One need not be a genius to figure out that environmental factors play a dominant role in the intellectual and academic performances of Black American students.

To further my assertion, there's some growing talk that East African students, who typically perform well in the classroom, are begining to perform less well academically in this country. Explain that, since it's all in the genes.